Spiratic heat- need help

Old 03-20-13, 07:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spiratic heat- need help

Hi-

I have a how multi-zone hot water oil fired boiler(Weil-McLain WTGO series 2). I recently bought the house it has the old mercury turn dial thermostats(never seemed accurate, set to 70 and it would be 64) . When I had some rooms painted I removed 2 of the thermostats so the painters could paint where the old thermostats were. I purchased (2) heating 70 deg temp stats and wired them in so they had heat in the areas they were painting. The painters said they were getting to hot so I disconnected them. Since they left I hooked them back up. They don't seem to work now at all. My other thermostats in other zones don't seem to work the best either. I just turned one up all the way and waited 15 minutes. The heat did not come on. The heat seems to be very spiratic and turn on when it wants. I think my boiler might also be short cycling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a multimeter and some jumpers if someone can point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-13, 03:03 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
(never seemed accurate, set to 70 and it would be 64)
Mercury t'stats need to be properly leveled in order to be accurate.

purchased (2) heating 70 deg temp stats
Make / model ?

You have just two wires to each thermostat? In other words, they are HEAT ONLY? (no A/C control)

What ZONE VALVES are installed on the system?

Can you post some pictures so we can see what you are working with?