Mixing Valve Question

Old 04-08-13, 08:13 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mixing Valve Question

I have a mixing valve is that is about 8" from the supply and return piping to the circulator pump, etc. It is a 3 way mixing valve. We are relocating the supply piping on a straight run and now the T of the mixing valve will be 18" vertical (up and down) instead of 8". Will this cause any problems? I am assuming the water will still flow down and around, etc. I can take a closer picture later.

Name:  Radiant Sketch.jpg
Views: 7697
Size:  31.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-13, 02:36 PM
C
Here is a better picture

The height is currently 8 " and new height will be approximately 18".

Name:  Book1.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  14.5 KB

Old 04-08-13, 04:58 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
If I understand the question correctly, that is fine.

That's an old diagram, yes? You replaced that B&G and your DT is closer now, correct?

Old 04-08-13, 05:59 PM
C
To: NJ Trooper

Yes, the diagram is old. The pump was replaced and the Delta T is within 10 degrees. The B&G NRF-36 has done the trick. The flow control valve is being replaced and there will be a high end air eliminator installed right after the boiler pipe and past the flow control valve. I may need to use threaded pipes and galvanized unions as there are control boards and it may be difficult to solder. There will be a shut off valve attached. The decision is made when this will be done.

Name:  Straight Run.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  Elbowed Design.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  25.2 KB

Additionally, I will be adding 1/2 Pex Tubing to the kitchen sometime in the near future, possibly this year or after next heating season. At this point there is only 1 - 3/8" run through each joist on 16" center.The old transfer plates will be moved over (2 ") closer on each joist to allow room for new transfer plates. Then the new runs will be added. Therefore, I will have 4 runs for the kitchen (Loops 5-8). I do not know if I am up for the project this year.

There is another option in where I could use tubing stapled on the outside of each joist (larger tubing) and there would be 2 runs for each joist plus the 3/8" center run. This could be over kill, but I would not need the extra transfer plates. This would be underneath each lip and about 1" lower then the subfloor. Then the cost of the new insulation may prevent this option. This would give me loops of about 220-240 ft. (estimate), which would be too long. Because of the shorter runs, the transfer plates and one extra run per joist would work. The installation of the tubing would be easier as the bends would be larger and & longer.

Thanks!

I will post new pictures once everything is completed.

Old 04-08-13, 06:55 PM
NJT
Please don't over do it with teflon tape! 2 wraps is more than enough!

Remember that when twisting that pipe the goal is to get 7-8 threads engaged and you will find that is TIGHT! So tight that you will be afraid you are going to break something. Don't be shy about it... and carry a BIG pair... of wrenches!

Old 04-08-13, 07:31 PM
C
I am having someone do this with me that has experience. Can not tackle this myself. I have a liquid and not Teflon tape and will only make sure the turns are 7-8 threads engaged as you state without too much pressure, etc. The last end run may be 2 male copper fittings with a coupling (one @ the union and one at the mixing valve). Hopefully this can all be threaded piping. Will find out shortly.

Old 04-13-13, 11:20 AM
C
Spirovent Installed and Flow Control Valve Replaced

Luckily I hired a professional to do this as it took over 12 hours to complete the job. The old fittings were literally impossible to remove. Instead of threaded pipe we used copper fittings, the soldering and lay out took some time because you were next to the control boards and we had very little room to work with. The Spirovent was installed. This is probably one of the greatest air eliminators around. The air in the system was removed very quickly by the pump pushing water through each loop. The flow started at .40 GPM and within a few minutes all the air was out of the system. You could hear the Spirovent hissing and removing the air. Even loop # 4 has increased its flow from .65 to approximately .80, so I am assuming there was little air in the loop. I capped off the supply Pex tubing so 85% of all the water remained in the tubing. All the loops are organized and straight to prevent any future leaks. The project is all done for now. Some insulation left for next season, but now I can take my time.

Old 04-13-13, 02:03 PM
NJT
Pictures? We like to see a job well done!

Old 04-13-13, 02:16 PM
C
I took pictures with a high end digital camera and the size of the file was too large. Will take pictures later and upload them. Need to use cell phone. Looks a lot neater and more organized. The piping configuration is similar but everything looks nice.

Old 04-13-13, 07:10 PM
C
Pictures

Name:  Complete Layout.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  New Piping Configuration.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  33.1 KB

Name:  Pump-Front Loops.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  42.8 KB

Name:  Spirovent.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  Supply - Return (Manifold).jpg
Views: 602
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 04-15-13, 05:27 AM
C
Before and After Pictures

I rearranged the return loops and here is the new picture. Also what the supply and return loops looked like before:

Name:  ORGANIZED.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  NRF -36 (New Pump).jpg
Views: 730
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  BEFORE I.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  BEFORE II.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  38.3 KB