Burnham V8 boiler hot water pressure question

Old 04-13-13, 08:11 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnham V8 boiler hot water pressure question

Hello all, new to forum, I just replaced my expansion tank and pressure release valve on my boiler. I have bled out all the zones but heat is taking forever to get into the baseboards. I checked the expansion tank pressure and it is holding at 12PSI, however the boiler pressure hot or cold stays at 10PSI. This is a fairly large home and the farthest zone is approx. 30ft high. The baseboards do get hot but it takes a long time even in the basement loop which is 10ft away.

I am assuming since everything work fine prior that I have a pressure issue, can I just add water to it hot or cold? And what should my pressure be?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-13, 08:58 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
the boiler pressure hot or cold stays at 10PSI.
First, read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

and you have already replaced the tank, but there may be some relevant information here also:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

the farthest zone is approx. 30ft high
A 3 story home then? You mean the radiators are 30' above the boiler location?

it takes a long time even in the basement loop which is 10ft away.
It is possible that there is still significant air trapped in the system...

Tell us what process / procedure you used to refill the system and bleed the air.

can I just add water to it hot or cold?
No, before adding any significant amount of water, or attempting to purge air, you should always turn OFF the boiler and allow it to cool to 100F or LESS.

And what should my pressure be?
If, as you say, the highest radiator is 30' above the boiler you will require approximately 18 PSI when the boiler is COLD.

Since you are saying that you never see the gauge on the boiler move from 10 PSI we can only assume that it is shot, and without a known good gauge you can do nothing further. So, the first thing to do is verify the pressure gauge and then move on from there.