Hot Water tank thermostat?

Old 04-13-13, 08:32 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Hot Water tank thermostat?

Ten years ago I bought a house with a steam boiler that also heats the hot water.
The hot water tank was replaced when I bought the house.
Recently I turned the heat off at the thermostat in the house.
In the past, when hot water was in use, the radiators would clank a little, but there was no significant heat produced in the house.
Now, the radiators get pretty hot every time the hot water is in use.

A friend says, this is the price I have to pay for hot water, but I sincerely don't remember the system producing this much heat in the past when we used hot water. The friend says if I turn down the temperature of the tank, it will minimize the number of times the water tank calls for the boiler to fire but we will have less hot water. I understand this, but it still does not explain why this seems to be happening more frequently and the amount of heat produced in the house each time.
It's April and I came home one day last week and it was 60 outside and 78 in the house. I had to open windows to get rid of the heat.
I was wondering if the thermostat on the hot water heater was malfunctioning.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Millie Jean

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-13, 08:46 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Millie,

a steam boiler that also heats the hot water.
The hot water tank was replaced when I bought the house.
We need a little bit more explanation here...

Do you mean to say that the domestic hot water tank is separate from the boiler? How large is the tank?

If you can post a few pictures of the system it might help us to understand.

I was wondering if the thermostat on the hot water heater was malfunctioning.
It is possible.

With STEAM systems that also provide domestic hot water, the controls which trigger the boiler to fire in order to produce that hot water must not be set so high as to cause STEAM to be produced.

Actual STEAM production is the only way that the system will heat the home. If the boiler water is only up to a high enough temperature to heat the water and NOT produce steam, no heat should get to the radiators.

Has anyone 'serviced' the system recently? Is it possible that someone has incorrectly or accidentally changed a setting on one of the controls?