Air exchanger with boiler heat

Old 04-16-13, 11:24 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Air exchanger with boiler heat

I'm just wonder what air exchanger systems exist and/or have been used with homes that have boiler heating.
Going from forced air heat to hot water boiler, I'm noticing a lot of dust settlement and a small degrading of air quality in the house vs. when we had forced air.
I'm considering adding a ventilation system which would draw air from to top floor to the basement through ducts. The return air would flow naturally through the stairs hallways.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-13, 12:12 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Mike, not sure what you are asking ...

Usually there is LESS dust with hydronics because it doesn't 'stir everything up'...

Do you already have the ductwork for central A/C system in place?

How about stand-alone HEPA room air filter units?

Guide to Air Cleaners in the Home | Indoor Air | US Environmental Protection Agency

Old 04-16-13, 12:17 PM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
No central air ducts in the house (suffered last summer).
I'm actually looking at my options (duct vs. ductless), but that is a bit off topic.

The I've considered the stand alone units (have a stand alone humidifier), but am hoping for a more whole house solution over having multiple stand alone units for humidity, dehumidity, purify, etc.

Old 04-16-13, 02:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are air handlers that can be installed, they have conventional sheet metal distribution, you can fit a hydronic coil in them that can provide heat, and you can install a DX coil for air conditioning. Humidifacation and filtration can also be added.
Pretty expensive though.
You might be able to add an HRV to bring in fresh air, and expel stale air. We have fitted HEPA filters on to these in the past to help improve air quality. You can not humidify with them, so you would need a stand alone humidifier.
This is certainly more cost effective if your not too concerned with air conditioning / dehumidifiacation. You can add a ductless split that has multiple heads and cassestte system such as the fujitsu (there are tons out there).
If you have concerns with your indoor air quality you should speak to a professional about your options. There are many different ways to get to the same end result with many different costs of course.