Safe to shut off circ pump for the summer?

Old 05-05-13, 06:35 PM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Safe to shut off circ pump for the summer?

Hi everyone,
We have a gas boiler / hot water heating system with radiators on the first and second floor. Although the circulation pump for the radiators is fairly quiet when I stand next to it, there is some vibration in the pipes and this is amplified by wooden floors so upstairs they system is really very loud. Especially at night it can sound like the whole house is humming. I think solving this problem will probably involve redoing some of the piping down there (and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that myself) but my question is: can I safely turn off the circulation pump for the whole summer? Or will that cause problems when we want to start it up again in the fall? We just moved into this house so I don't have a lot of experience with this particular system.

Thanks for your advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-13, 06:46 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Very few residential systems have continuous circulation You would be wise to investigate why your system does and probably money ahead to change it so that the circulation was only on a call for heat.

To answer your question, no it won't hurt to shut down the circulator. Some "canned" pumps might under adverse conditions stick during long periods of shutdown but running the pump for a minute once a month should prevent this from happening.

If you post a couple of dozen pictures of your system it would help us to help you. Pictures need to be in focus and well lit. Both close ups and from a far enough distance to allow us to see how the different parts are connected. Best is to upload hi resolution pictures to a photo hosting site and publish the puplic URLs here.

Old 05-06-13, 01:40 PM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Furd,
I've put a few photos that my wife took here (I'm away right now):
PicGarage - Open For You!
I'm not sure the pump is continuous because we don't always hear the noise; but whenever I go down there it's on. Our heating has been off for about a week now. I will go ahead and let her know she can turn it off now, and we will run it once a month to keep it from sticking. In the fall should I expect a lot of air in the system after such a long period of rest?