water leakage

Old 05-29-13, 08:52 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water leakage

i have a utica boiler and it has begun to leak out of the steel plate with 6 bolts behind the aquastat and where it connects into the boiler it is a round plate with 6 stainless steel bolts, would i be able to do this job my self? also yes there is a gasket behind the plate, a serviceman up the street came to take a look ,i've been spraying the bolts with rust buster, he says it's no problem to fix(for him) i should just let him do his thing, my question is it it possible for a person with limited knowledge in the heating field attempt to fix this? or leave it to the "pros"? thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-13, 09:18 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
my question is it it possible for a person with limited knowledge in the heating field attempt to fix this?
Some plumbing knowledge is needed, along with the correct tools and a replacement gasket. The system will need to be drained, of course. Post some photos - that will help us advise you.

Old 05-29-13, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I would leave it to someone has done it before. If the bolts snap you royally #@$#ed....

Have him guarantee that if he snaps a bolt he will be able to tap/helicoil a new thread. Otherwise you will be buying a new boiler.

Old 05-29-13, 02:22 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
6 stainless steel bolts
Not likely stainless steel. Are they rusted? definitely not stainless steel.

With a job like this where you can get yourself in deep doo-doo, it is probably best to hire someone to do it for you.