How many feet , wood floorsof Hydronic baseboard?

Old 06-20-13, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow How many feet , wood floorsof Hydronic baseboard?

I'm renovating two rooms in a 230 yr old home in NH. The first is a NW facing bedroom of about 185 sq ft / 1290 cu ft, with about 25 ft of exterior wall, 35 sq ft of single-glazed windows with well-fitting exterior storms. There is no insulation in exterior walls, but blown-in insulation in the ceiling plus a 9 in attic cap. Wood floors. There are currently about 25 feet of hydronic baseboard. I recently removed about 8 ft in the renovation, and am reluctant to add more, as I am at, if not above the 67 ft guideline for 3/4 in baseboard and have had two previous boiler failures due to acid corrosion.. Will the current 25ft be sufficient?
The second room is a newly renovated bathroom of about 70 sq. ft. / 490 cu ft. About 7 ft of exterior wall and a new 11.75 sq.ft energy star window. All walls, including interior walls will be insulated, as is the ceiling, as in the other room. Electrically heated slated floor and radiant heat-lamp / fan. I am planning 10 ft of hydronic base board. Will that be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-13, 03:35 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Doc, download the SlantFin Heat loss package

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...alculator.html

and run the numbers.

Old 06-20-13, 05:12 PM
The boiler failures are not due to too much or too little baseboard. They are a function of too low of a return water temperature. You are condensing the flue gas.
A boiler bypass or some form of boiler protection is in order.

Old 06-21-13, 10:15 AM
I understand that, but too many feet of baseboard is what causes the return temperature to be too low. The last boiler replacement included the addition of a boiler bypass. After I posted yesterday, I measured the baseboards on that zone, and there are 93 ft!! Although 17ft of that is enclosed in closets and under a window seat, that is still way too much!

Old 06-21-13, 10:20 AM
Thank You! That is what I am looking for and I will consult it.