Issue - Condensation?

Old 06-21-13, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Issue - Condensation?

First of all, I'd like to say that I appreciate any advice given in advance... My issue is this.. I live in a home constructed in 1902.. it is elderly. It has hot water heat with cast iron pipes throughout. Now that it is summer I have completely drained the water out of the heating system. Now I've run into an issue... the other day I noticed dirty water in lines all over the basement. I looked up and saw that EVERY iron pipe - there are several over 10 had drops of water on them. I thought to myself " how is it possible that every pipe is leaking?" So I cleaned up all the mess, cleaned the pipes, and re-drained the system... a very small amount of dirty water came out. Since then no issues, I thought it was a fluke! Today I went to dry my clothes and when I returned to the basement there is water everywhere again! Thinking back, last time this happened I was also doing laundry. Am I nuts here to think that it is impossible for every pipe to leak simultaneously? Does the dryer have anything to do with this? I attempted to drain the system and literally nothing came out, not even one drop. What do I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-13, 09:47 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
If I had to guess, I would say you have a bit of a humidity issue on your hands.
If it only happens with the dryer in use (after the fact), I'm thinking maybe your dryer exhaust is seporated somewhere or is plugged.

Old 06-21-13, 09:49 AM
Thank you for your response. Now that you mention it, I JUST cleaned the whole exhaust from the dryer myself two weeks ago and this started after. Would something like that make every pipe drip? Even pipes that are more than 20 feet away? If so I will just replace the whole exhaust pipe.

Old 06-21-13, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Make sure the dryer vent is indeed venting outside and isn't leaking into your basement.
A dehumidifier may also be needed to cut down on condensation in the warmer humid months.

Last, you really shouldn't drain the heating systems water.

Old 06-21-13, 10:35 AM
Make sure the dryer vent is indeed venting outside and isn't leaking into your basement.
A dehumidifier may also be needed to cut down on condensation in the warmer humid months.

Last, you really shouldn't drain the heating systems water.
In older homes, a dehumidifier in the basement is almost a must. The concrete floor in my 1930's home was soaked when we filled the pool last year. So much condensation coming off the pipes.

I'm going to add a second dehumidifier shortly as the 70 pint kenmore I have just isn't able to keep up. Poor thing has ran 24/7 since I bought it this spring.

Old 06-21-13, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys.. I've lived in this particular house for about 15 years... never had an issue, never experienced anything like this before. The only reason I drained the water was because I thought it was leaking and not condensation at first. I'm thinking based on both of your responses that I should just replace the vent tube, because here's the issue - I had to clean it out by shaking it near the dryer as it was built above the ceiling... so it goes above the ceiling - above the sheet rock, to the outside - so I cant tell if there is a disconnect (this also happens to be where an iron heating pipe is) so I think I will just have to cut out the sheet rock, replace vent, replace sheet rock unless there are any other suggestions?

Old 06-21-13, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys.. I've lived in this particular house for about 15 years... never had an issue, never experienced anything like this before. The only reason I drained the water was because I thought it was leaking and not condensation at first. I'm thinking based on both of your responses that I should just replace the vent tube, because here's the issue - I had to clean it out by shaking it near the dryer as it was built above the ceiling... so it goes above the ceiling - above the sheet rock, to the outside - so I cant tell if there is a disconnect (this also happens to be where an iron heating pipe is) so I think I will just have to cut out the sheet rock, replace vent, replace sheet rock unless there are any other suggestions?
I think you found your issue.
This could be a simple repair of a disconnection, but if you think the condition of the existing piping is not great, replace and forget about it.
Keep in mind, most states require ridgid pipe for dryer vents (flexable piping is acceptable here in Ontario Canada).

Old 06-21-13, 12:06 PM
That pipe has never been replaced and it was extremely fragile. It has been there for AT LEAST 15 years... who knows exactly how long.. It was very difficult for me to remove and replace the pipe at the back of the dryer without it falling apart... The issue is even if it is a simple disconnect, it becomes just as complex as replacing the pipe because either way I have to remove the sheet rock. I will attempt to do this this weekend and report my findings. Thank you very much for your time.. I appreciate it!

Old 07-01-13, 03:44 PM
So I replaced the tube and the condensation is gone!! Thanks again for the replies!

Old 07-02-13, 05:40 AM
Glad to hear everything is all good.