Slant/Fin Heat Loss Program Updated

Old 07-05-13, 03:24 PM
Slant/Fin Heat Loss Program Updated

I have the Slant/Fin app installed on my Apple iPad. I got notice that there was an update available, and I installed it. In my clumsiness, I didn't make note of the new version number as it installed - and I can't seem to coax out the new version number from the updated app itself. And, I have no idea what the update all entailed. The time it took to download makes me think it was a whole new version, not just some tweaks on Slant/Fin's selection library of their boilers and baseboards that are tacked onto the heat-loss program.

Here's how you know there is an update available: the App Icon on the iPad "desktop," or whatever Apple calls it, shows up with a red circle and a number in it. The number tells you how many of your installed apps have new updates available. Click on the icon, and updates happen automatically, or nearly so.

The iPad Slant/Fin app seems to be a bit slicker than the old Windows version for data entry - and it seems that the app is still being supported and updated, unlike the Windows version that Slant/Fin seems to have abandoned? A while back, I entered my data into the iPad app for my house that I had previously entered for the windows version. The results were very slightly different - but the differences more or less negligible.

If you have an iPad, by all means get the Slant/Fin app. I think you go to the Apple app store to get it. But, if you don't have an iPad, I wouldn't run out and buy one unless you want one for other reasons. They are kind of nice, though.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-13, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
I use my sons I pod touch........

Need to see if my wifes android will download it...

I still have a dumb phone...so no luck... Geez I feel old....

Old 07-05-13, 05:22 PM
I don't have a smartphone either, just a dumb phone and my iPad. Not sure if the screen size on a phone would be large enough for the Slant/Fin app. Maybe so if it allowed enough scrolling, left and right.

Old 07-05-13, 06:45 PM
One More Thing

The first screen of the Slant/Fin iPad app has a disclaimer: the "heat loss program is designed for hot-water heat only." Maybe they are referring to the Slant/Fin boiler and baseboard sizing add-ons to the program. But, a heat-loss calculation, Btu/hr, should not depend upon the type of heating system.