New Heating boiler - Turned off for the summer, but pressure shows 30 psi

Old 07-07-13, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Heating boiler - Turned off for the summer, but pressure shows 30 psi

Hi, everyone, I am new here. Information posted here is extremely helpful. I had a brand new house heating boiler installed this summer Weil McLain CGA7. It is actually still turned off for the summer (electricity), but the gauge shows pressure 30 psi which seems high given that I think the norm is 14-20 psi. The boiler has water inlet open, but as mentioned, electricity is off.

The emergency relief is not leaking. When I tried to shut off the water inlet and drained some water from the boiler, the pressure gauge did not move at all. When I opened the water inlet back, the boiler automatically filled the tank and the pressure gauge again did not move.

I was wondering if this is something to worry about now or it is not a problem since the boiler is off? Maybe this is why the pressure gauge is not reacting?

Thanks very much for everyone's thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-13, 11:05 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Something is wrong - possibly the gauge itself. Call back the installers.

Old 07-07-13, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I second what gilmore stated... Don't mess with it... Should be under warranty... Call them back...

Old 07-07-13, 11:26 AM
Thanks guys. The installer seems to be unavailable for the next 2-3 weeks (probably vacation) - is this something that could wait to be addressed for a month or so?

Old 07-07-13, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Probably yes... If worried just turn the feed off to the boiler and wait for the installers....

Old 07-07-13, 11:34 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the gauge isn't moving at all we can surmise that it's 'stuck'...

Did you try tapping it with your finger?

Old 07-07-13, 01:06 PM
Is there any possibility you are reading the gauge wrong? For example, 30 ft of head vs. 30 psi? Can you post a clear picture of the gauge?

Old 07-07-13, 01:13 PM
NJT
Good point Gil...

Notice that there are two scales shown, one in PSI and one in FEET, and that 30 FEET is just about right for the equivalent PSI of 12-13.

image courtesy hvac-talk.com

Still, the fact that it didn't move at all makes it suspect.

Old 07-07-13, 03:52 PM
Actually I tried to tap it before, but wanted to be careful and must have tapped it too lightly so nothing happened. But as NJ Trooper suggested, I tapped it again with my finger harder and it immediately jumped down to 12 psi. Maybe because it is new, it was more rigid... But the issue seems to be solved. Thanks very much guys.

Old 07-07-13, 04:37 PM
Sounds good. If it got stuck at 30 psi, I wonder how it got up to 30 psi in the first place? We may never know.

Old 07-07-13, 04:41 PM
NJT
One thing that concerns me a bit though...

For the needle to have 'stuck' at 30 probably means that at some point the pressure was actually that high, and that would not be a good thing. Under normal conditions, depending on how much water is in your system, the pressure when the boiler is HOT really should not be much over 20, if that much. It could be as high as 27 without issues, but this would tend to indicate to me that the expansion tank which was used is too small for the application, or improperly charged with air.

It might pay to check the air charge in the expansion tank so there are no surprises in the fall when you start the system up.

There is a 'step by step' in this thread that explains how to do... it's pretty easy... and is something that is generally overlooked as a preventative maintenance item... EVIDENCE: the number of posts made here about pressure relief valves 'spewing'.

It's worth checking even if your relief valve is NOT spewing... YET!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...sion-tank.html

Old 07-07-13, 05:07 PM
Will definitely check out the step-by-step instructions and go through this before the Fall. The gauge is now at 12 psi, but incidentally I was wondering what it should be when the heating season starts. My boiler is in the basement, and the house is a 2-floor house?

Old 07-07-13, 05:15 PM
NJT
12 is fine for a 2 story home...

General rule is :

0.431 PSI per foot of elevation between boiler and highest point in the system... PLUS 3-4 PSI

OR 12 PSI, whichever is greater.

This of course with the boiler COLD.

Old 07-07-13, 05:19 PM
again thanks very much for all the help.

Old 07-07-13, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Its good you want to learn, but IMO its under warranty..... Let the installer deal with it. But get educated so you know what the techs are doing....

Just repeating what was stated before....

Some contractors will not honer warranty one homeowners start touching things....