Air Lock Hot Water Tank I Think

Old 07-10-13, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Lock Hot Water Tank I Think

Hiya guys,

Just a quick Q&A I hope. I had a shower plumbed in the other day, so all water was shut off and drained, then the shower went in, and then the water was turned back on.

I now have the issue of the hot water not performing to it's optimal levels, as previously we could get an entire bath of hot water and now we get only about 1/3 of a bath of hot water. I need to know how to solve this. Now I think it's because there's air in the hot water tank (It's an old back boiler gravity based heating system.) Oddly enough the water tank is in a cupboard in our bedroom. I have tapped on the tank upon it finishing it's "refilling" and it even sounds hollow, like there's air inside.

Are there any solutions to this, beyond having to pay a plumber to have a visit? I ask because it's only air!

If I run the hot water down, and then leave it running with no pressure will the air come out over a period of an hour, or will the tank just drain the water it fills with and all the air remain? Or will this make more air go into the tank?

There's enough to have a shower at the moment, but I need this fixed before it gets worse, and I have zero money for a plumber.

Regards,
Mark.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-13, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hi and welcome... Is it an electric heater?

Did they turn of the electric when the were working on it?

When you run hot water you get fine flow right but just not enough hot water?

I would fear you burnt out an element. If the heater is only working on one element then you would not get the hot water you had before.....

This requires testing the heater with a multimeter...

This is high voltage and you can be injured or killed...So if you are not sure then it may be best to get a pro..

If the plumbers cause this issue you may ask them to come back... They would be responsible and repair it for you at no charge....

If its less then 6 years old you may try and get warranty service from the manufacturer... This may be a slim chance though because it may have been cause by human error...

Old 07-10-13, 07:13 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mark, are you in the US?

What are the make / model of all the equipment?