Weil-McLain 80 (680) annual service

Old 07-23-13, 08:04 PM
Weil-McLain 80 (680) annual service

I posted this once before but now cannot the answer. I have a 16 unit prewar condo building in Brooklyn New York. We have a Weil-McLain model 80/680 for hot water heat and domestic hot water.

My question: Is there a list of standard annual maintenance procedures that I should have done during the summer when the hot water heat is off?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-13, 04:59 PM
NJT
I checked and don't see where you asked this previously. You did have a thread regarding settings for the Tekmar 260, but that's all I found.

Yes, it is recommended that the system be 'checked over' before each heating season.

I believe this is an oil-fired boiler , so the combustion chamber and heat exchanger should be brushed and vacuumed.

The flue pipe should be examined for tight connections and to make sure there is no rust through at any point.

The burner should be serviced. This should include new oil filters, possibly filter screen in the oil pump, NEW NOZZLE, electrodes adjusted, COMBUSTION ANALYSIS must be performed and the air settings adjusted for proper combustion (along with checking the draft in the flue and adjusting the barometric damper if necessary).

System pressure should be monitored and if necessary the expansion tank should be serviced.

If there is a Low Water Cut Off installed, it should be tested for proper operation.

Pumps should be oiled if required. (wet rotor pumps don't need oiling, but 3-piece do)

Any automatic air vents should be checked for proper operation and replaced in needed.

General inspection for any other 'issues' the system may have.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something... hopefully others will chime in if I did.

Does your condo assoc. have a contract with a mechanical firm? If not, you probably should. If the heating system goes down in the middle of winter, it may be difficult to find someone to come out if there is no prior arrangement.

I'm sure that you know that in NYC your heating system must be serviced by LICENSED PRO, correct? There is no DIY allowed, particularly in a multi-occupancy building!

Old 07-24-13, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. I must have started the question and not posted it back when I was posting about the tekmar.

The furnace is gas fired. Are there any specific annual services that I should request? We have a contract with a licensed plumber that installed the boiler initially. They are expensive and often not clear on what they are doing so I am looking to get more involved in the process.

Thanks again.

Old 07-24-13, 05:07 PM
NJT
Ohhhh... well, if gas fired, the whole burner thing is out the window then. It should still be looked at as far as possibly vacuuming the internals if there is rust flaking off... and the combustion should be checked.

Pretty much everything else still goes though.

I don't know that a 'plumber' is the same thing as a 'heating technician'. No offense to your guy, but if he is in fact a 'plumber', he might not have the skill set needed to properly service a hot water heating boiler.

Old 07-24-13, 06:34 PM
If there is a strainer in the line from the city water to the boiler's pressure reducing valve, clean the strainer.

It's probably not necessary, but I manually lift the relief valve for a second or two. And then, once every five years or so, I replace the relief valve on general principles. I write the replacement date on the valve with a felt-tip marker.

Verify that there are operating smoke and CO2 detectors in the boiler room area and press the test buttons. If battery powered, replace the batteries.

As Trooper suggested, I inspect and wire-brush the burners and vacuum the debris. I have a fire-tube boiler (which is not common) - I run a round wire brush, mounted on the end of a 1/2" pipe, through the tubes.

Where I live (not in a large city, like NYC), such DIY work on hot-water boilers is OK. There is no licensing of trades such as plumbers, electricians, etc. Local service people often bill themselves as "HVAC & Plumbing" on their trucks. They usually do central air conditioning, too. Some are one-man operators, others have several trucks and a few service people, each of whom may specialize in one thing or another. In a small town, the good ones become well known and the bad ones soon leave or find other jobs.