setting up boiler for cold starting

Old 07-27-13, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
setting up boiler for cold starting

I am putting an electric water heater in my hot water boiler heating system with the boiler being first and the heater second. I will not be using the potable water part of the boiler to heat the water using only residual heat from the boiler in the winter. I need to know how to set the boiler up to cold star in the winter . Planning on wood stove insert for fireplace as primary heat and oil boiler as backup.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-13, 05:45 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I'm a bit confused here. How will you keep boiler water from mixing with the potable hot water?

Old 07-27-13, 06:12 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think he may be talking about plumbing the electric water heater in series with the domestic coil in the boiler?

Old 07-27-13, 06:18 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What model aquastat is currently installed on your boiler?

Old 09-03-13, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cold start

currently I have set up my 1977 weil mclain boiler to do this .. on the tt on the burner I removed the jumper and ran the end switches from the zone valves to the tt on the burner this way the boiler only runs when heat is called for. I am also installing a taco zone control which also purges the boiler of heat into the house to save more fuel. where I am from the price of oil is over 7 a gallon so I am doing everything to optimize the system for now until I can afford a hi efficiency boiler. also I have put a smaller nozzle on the burner to about half of what the boiler calls for and raised the pump pressure to 300 psi for better atomization and eventually be installing a oil preheater for better burn. the European burner are way ahead of the American market. I'd like to eventually get a weishaupt burner....