BOILER RELIEF VALVE LEAKING --- Expansion Tank And Valves Replaced.

Old 09-30-13, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, most certainly. However, there is still the matter of excess boiler pressure forcing the pressure safety relief valve open. There was a point where I felt sure the Bock indirect was culpable.After all when the Bock was isolated from the boiler the pressure did not increase. It could be it was simply a coincidence the pressure rise did not occur during the isolation phase, the time period to short to make for a valid conclusion. The specter of the pressure rise is still out there taunting me as though it were a Moby Dick of sorts... My Moby Dick.

One of the good folks here on the board said to be careful. He warned of pulling the trigger to soon on a new indirect. Sage council indeed and I'd like to thank him for that, as it comes to mind now. It was NJtrooper. (I hada go back and look)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-13, 02:54 PM
Awe crap, it's at 0 psi again already. I placed toilet paper around all the fitting in the area of the boiler and bock so I could catch a sign of water. But it's a desert, no water to be found.

Last edited by docfletch; 09-30-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Yes, most certainly. However, there is still the matter of excess boiler pressure forcing the pressure safety relief valve open.

I though that was not an issue anymore and you had no increase in pressure?

I assume it was stated here that if the indirect was leaking at the coil then the house pressure would bleed into the boiler and raise its pressure until the relief valve tripped.

IMO if a boiler is losing pressure there is a leak...period!!!

You did trace and follow every heating circuit and check all joints correct? Did we ask if any piping is under a slab anywhere?

Last how many air bleeders are on the system? Are you getting lots of noise through the loops?

Old 09-30-13, 03:55 PM
Well way back over a month ago the high temp limit sensor assembly failed causing safety relief to blow out the water. The high temp limit was replaced along with the exp tank. Soon after the pressure started going to 0 intermittently.

The BFP was dripping and thought to be culpable, and so was plugged. All went well for a month. Then the pressure increases started so after a little diagnostic it was thought to be the Bock indirect. I was going to replace it but before I did things reverted back to the pressure drop problem.

3 manual bleeders, one for each upstairs zone and 2 new auto bleeders, one on the boiler return after the exp tank and one for the downstairs fam room loop.

No noise in loops.

Old 09-30-13, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Close all bleeders and let us know the results....(make sure all manual ones are closed tight too.)

Old 09-30-13, 04:13 PM
I errored I should have said 2 manual bleeders and one auto bleeder upstairs. I don't like the auto bleeder looks (moist?) so I'm leaving for home depot to get a manual bleeder and replace it. Last month it was quite dry but perhaps when I fiddled with it I caused a problem.

Old 10-02-13, 07:15 PM
System, seems stable. No pressure loss or rise. Not sure if the upstairs auto bleeder was bad. It was rusty on the threaded head on top, and showed evidence of a water trail stain down the body.
Replaced it with a manual.

I might get to stay warm this winter yet!

Old 10-02-13, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
That will be a $49 dollar service fee please and a 6 pack....

I knew you had a leak as did everyone here I believe...

Old 10-02-13, 08:03 PM
Yeah, everyone sid it but I could not find it. Then all was good for a month. Then the pressure increase. I still don't know for sure what was causing that. Although I think it can only be the indirect.

Anyway I set up my manifold extension return to accept pex for the new bath zone upstairs. Pressure tested it. Good to go

Old 10-02-13, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
let us know... It may not be over....

Old 11-21-13, 12:21 PM
Edit: 11/21 3pm It seems to be working now. But I feel the problem will return as the worst sort of problem... Intermittent

Everything was fine until yesterday. Sadly, a new problem has reared it's ugly head. The boiler goes through it's start up routine... Purge, Igniter, Gas valve.
When the the gas valve opens you can hear the boiler fire up. One or Two seconds after firing up it shuts down. There are no flashing light errors on the control board. You guys have be great helping my earlier issues. I'm asking you now to chime in again.

Last edited by docfletch; 11-21-13 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-21-13, 09:59 PM
Problem solved, a relay is bad, weak coil. Looks like I cried Wolf a little bit to soon.