Adding on to STEAM heat system - Julesc

Old 08-18-13, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding on to STEAM heat system - Julesc

I have a home built in the early 30's. it runs a Weill McClellan single pipe steam heat system. The boiler was replaced in 2000, with what I have been told is a commercial sized boiler. We are planning an expansion, and need to know if is possible to extend this existing system into the new rooms.
I want to make sure I ask the contractors the right questions, what is the very best way to go about this? It is currently a single zone system, and there will be a crawl space added to 1/2 of the 600 sqft addition.

Ay guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ps, can anyone recommend good steam heat contractors in the buffalo ny area, we have not had much luck so far.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-13, 09:51 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Jules, I've separated your question from the thread you tacked onto the end of. Might get better response that way.

Steam heat systems require that the boiler be sized to the amount of radiators installed. This is important for proper system operation.

what I have been told is a commercial sized boiler.
What is the full model number of you WEIL-McCLAIN boiler?

"Commercial sized" ? what the heck does that even mean? Does it mean that the installer put a boiler that was improperly sized for your home?

can anyone recommend good steam heat contractors in the buffalo ny area
Sorry, we don't do that... try Angie's list, if you dare.

Old 08-18-13, 07:23 PM
What type of radiation? Check the boiler size to the connected load. Are the horizontal steam mains in the basement insulated? Might want to consider circulated hot water loops for the addition fom the steam boiler if the boiler is big enough.

Old 08-23-13, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the boiler is already properly sized, there's a good possibility that there isn't enough spare sq ft of heating capacity to supply to new addition. I would look more into a hot water heating zone dedicated for the addition. Not only do you have to worry about your boiler being properly sized but if it was big enoug to do the addition, you have to worry about getting a guy that knows how to install steam piping which isn't all that difficult....BUT you do need the knowledge to know how to do it.

Old 08-23-13, 10:00 AM
NJT
Just a 'heads up'... Jules hasn't been back since asking question. Probably another 'fly by'.