basement ceiling hydronic heating

Old 08-18-13, 06:53 PM
basement ceiling hydronic heating

I am interested in making in floor hydronics heating. Heat source gas water tank(60,000 btu),
house requirement 30,000 btu. I would heat my basement ceiling only, one zone, about 800 feet of 1/2 pex. 500 sq feet ceiling. System would have circulator pump, controlled by a thermostat (On/OFF)
6 outlet non modulating manifolds, and not pressurized expansion tank installed
10 feet above the system. I have been looking on the internet, and can't find any information about this type of expansion tank. most systems seem to be pressurized. The tank would be ideally made of clear material with a lid for adding water. I have also noticed references of red tape: CSA, Hydronics council
of Canada, possibly local building department. The system I have in mind is not expensive, but systems offered by hydronics contractors are very expensive.
they want for even simple controls with one pump $3000. In Home Depot
a manifold sells for $30, and I have seen pumps for $150. Am I allowed to build this system by myself? I am in Ontario, Canada

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-13, 07:29 AM
Am I allowed to build this system by myself?
Legally, I have no idea. But I would strongly advise against trying to do this - for a variety of important safety reasons, not to mention whether any such system you cobble together would work satisfactorily.

Using a domestic water heater for space heating is not a good idea, in my opinion. Water heaters aren't designed for that service. In the U.S., at least, a hot-water heating boiler will have an ASME "H" stamp, but not a water heater. Not sure about Canada.

Old 08-19-13, 04:32 PM
NJT
Just because the heater is rated at 60K and you think you only need 30K does NOT mean that with a 500 square foot of in-floor radiant that you will be able to transfer enough heat into the home.

500 sq ft X 25 BTU / sq ft = 12,500 BTU heat output into the home. And that is IF you are lucky to get as much as 25 BTU / sq ft out of the system.

No, you had better think long and hard about what you are planning.

I have also noticed references of red tape: CSA, Hydronics council of Canada, possibly local building department
In most instances, this red tape is placed in order to protect people from themselves.

Old 08-19-13, 06:00 PM
I am seeing many complains about boilers. I think that high efficiency hot water tanks are better.
they have hook up for house heating,
The hydronic pros don't recommend them, but I would question their motivation. Hot water tanks
last 10 or more years, and in the system I would build would not be pressurized, and would have
soft water. I would expect up to 20 years out of it. They are easy to fix. better idea than furnaces.

Old 08-19-13, 06:10 PM
Let us know how it turns out. You have been warned. If you are so confident of your proposal, I wonder why you are posting this on this DIY forum? Good luck.

Old 08-19-13, 06:32 PM
NJ Trooper.
The rate of heat transfer is a good point. At the moment I heat the house with 2, 1500W plug in radiator heaters plus occasional cooking and baking on the coldest days.
Cost of hydro is going up. I have installed a heat pump, but I didn't see the efficiency as promised. I only use it in the fall and spring.
Getting just 12500 Btu would still be an improvement.
If I used 1000 feet of 1/2 inch tubing, it would have a surface 160 square feet. pi x d x 1000
the radiator heaters have surface 15 square feet each. (30 together) there is no problem with
getting heat out of them.

As for the red tape, the original intent was to protect us. In that case it would not be called a red tape.