Oversized boiler - Burton123

Old 08-29-13, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oversized boiler - Burton123

so what happens if the boiler is damn over sized like mine

Heating one room 150sqft and 80gal Boiler mate with 320K BTU boiler??? I am running the system at 155F.

The house is subject to a trial at court so no modification can be done until it is resolved which seems like end of next heating season

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-13, 04:55 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Burton, best not to "piggy back" onto another thread as it can get confusing as to who is responding to whom.

I would need to know about why you have such a huge boiler in such a small area but suffice it to say that what you describe will be quite inefficient and also subject to serious low temperature corrosion.

Old 08-29-13, 04:59 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Burton, I don't want to see this thread hijacked, but I'll entertain this one question... if the discussion goes off on a tangent I will have to separate it from the original thread.

so what happens if the boiler is damn over sized like mine

Heating one room 150sqft and 80gal Boiler mate with 320K BTU boiler??? I am running the system at 155F.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard... so ridiculous that it sounds like a 'troll' post.

A ONE ROOM house of 150 sq ft? with a 320K boiler? and an 80 gall water heater?

No, no way, I don't believe it.

Again, if you must talk about this further, I need to move this to it's own thread.

Old 08-29-13, 05:18 PM
I am living in one room of the house which is 150sqft, house itself is 3700sqft + it has a spa and a swimming pool. The original owners were planning to cover the pool and use and heat the pool at winter time as well so they put a that big boiler. Then they are divorced and project didnt even started for them except some posts and i bought the house and now i am going through a divorce and house is a subject in the divorce so i dont want to put money until the divorce is finalized and seems like it will take until end of this heating season. I will re-do all the boiler room. Pictures are here
safakm's Library | Photobucket
NJ Trooper might remember that it is a very bad installation.

Due to budget issues, i dont want to heat entire house. The room that i am living is right above the boiler room (which is warmer than other rooms) and i have a 80 gallon BoilerMate. So my question was does under utilizing a boiler causes any damage to boiler. I dont want to loose more money at the end to save money now.

Also i dont want to hijack the thread as well, if it worth discussing with other folks, i can start a new thread about it.

Old 08-29-13, 06:36 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
OK, moved to separate thread...

But I don't know if there's really anything to discuss? I don't see any 'solution' for something like this. At least nothing that I believe we can help with at this point?

Old 08-29-13, 07:03 PM
Thanks for moving the thread trooper.

does it harm the boiler to under utilize that much?
i dont want to damage the boiler because of this.

Amtrol BoilerMate is 40K BTU and per Slantfin heat loss analysis, room is 4200 BTU (i set interior walls as exteriors also since the rest of the house will not be heated)

Old 08-30-13, 12:13 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I see that you live in Washington state, the land of low-cost hydroelectric power. Who is your electrical utility. I ask because using electricity to heat this one room would probably be the most cost effective. Water heating will be problematic but depending on your needs could be overcome. Is the gas service by Puget Sound Energy? If yes, then the monthly "customer service charge" ($10) is going to be a major amount of the gas bill if you use the boiler to heat domestic hot water only.

In my opinion it is a bad idea to size a residential boiler to also heat a hot tub and/or swimming pool. For the times when the tub or pool are not being heated the boiler is hugely oversized and will short cycle unless it has an equally huge buffer tank. If you come through the court action on a positive note then I suggest that you immediately move to separate the space heating and domestic hot water needs from this behemoth and install a correctly sized boiler for these needs. Probably could then severely downsize the existing boiler as well since it would only serve the pool and tub...assuming you wish to keep them.

Old 08-30-13, 07:26 AM
yes it is PSE.

I totally agree to separate Heating and DHW from pool and spa under these circumstances but also i am thinking since i am not planning to heat the pool and spa in winter, i think the same down sized boiler can be used to heat the pool as well since there is no heat demand from the house except DHW at summer time from ~April to ~October . Will see the court outcome and i will start remodeling.

The good part is current boiler room is ~40sqft that i am planning to make it laundry room and re building the boiler room in the pool equipment room which is bigger and more rectangular like 5ftx~20ft which is relatively empty(current room is squarish and is a total mess if you check the pictures) so i can start assembling all the pieces and boiler without disturbing the current system (the only thing that i will use from the other room could be the 80gal BoilerMate) and at the end i can hook up the supply, return and DHW lines.

Old 08-30-13, 08:27 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
does it harm the boiler to under utilize that much?
i dont want to damage the boiler because of this.
Possibly, yes - not the boiler itself as much as the flue and chimney. I think the boiler is ultimately going to have to be ripped out and replaced, anyway. The boiler is so grossly oversized, now that you don't intend to enclose and heat the pool area, it will short-cycle, even in cold weather, and certainly when you are heating just your 150 sq ft room. The flue and vent/chimney may never get warm enough to drive out the condensation, leading to corrosion or other damage, depending on their materials of construction.

Until you can replace the boiler, why not just plug in a portable electric space heater in the one room? Small electric water heaters tend to be inexpensive, but they would need to be professionally installed unless you are handy. Does your weather get below freezing, in which case the whole house needs to be heated to avoid damage to plumbing, furniture, etc.?

According to the Teledyne Laars website, your Mighty Therm boiler was designed and sold as a commercial unit, not residential - which make sense, given its enormous size. It has been discontinued, at least in the U.S. According to the website, it had "firing modes (single stage to motorized modulation)". It is conceivable that the unit's firing rate could be safely reduced? You'd have to check the manufacturer's literature or call them.

Since you don't intend to enclose and heat the pool, that enormous boiler is obviously unsuitable now, and probably was when it was installed in the first place? I wonder if it was a surplus or used unit, and that the previous owner got a great price?