Oil tank sludge issue

Old 09-03-13, 04:55 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil tank sludge issue

So I have a couple issues here, my wife text me and said no hot water. So I get home and check oil level with my handy wooden dip stick. About 6" and I'm thinking well that should be plenty in a 1000 gallon buried tank not thinking it could all be sludge. I guess the stick coming out clean made me never consider it. So filter was full of sludge, packed. strainer wasn't pretty either.

So I replace filter an use degreaser to clean strainer throw It back together and put 10 gal diesel in due to It being a holiday and wanting to take a shower. So I tried bleeding the system with the bleeder but when turning furnace on, it makes a few clicks and the error light blinks quickly. The reset button has no effect.

Could it be throwing an error if the nozzle is clogged?

So I'm not certain i was ever out of fuel completely or not, I did put a hand pump on the supply line and got some dirty fuel to come out into a catch pan so definetally not clogged line.

I guess I should use sludge additive, I got oil coming tomorrow or Thursday , but I guess I need to know what to do to get this sucker running again!? Doesn't seem to want to prime? Thanks guys!

Old 09-03-13, 05:17 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
6" of oil? What is the elevation of the tank suction?

Old 09-03-13, 05:25 PM
D
Yes 6" of oil or so give or take. I'm no sure what the suction elevation is set at. The tank is buried and we just moved into the house a year ago, kinda learning things as we go.

Old 09-04-13, 06:51 PM
D
Well I got everything working for now, had a piece of hose I found to hook to my hand pump and after a while pumping I finally got I primed. Held reset for a minute to get it out of lockout and fired right up. Hopefully the clogged filter was just the previous owners years of neglect and not 6" of sludge on the bottom. New oil coming tomorrow anyway and ill add some sludge/fuel treatment too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: