HELP How to wire 2 v8043e1012 zone valves into a weil Mclain CGM-3-PI gas boiler

Old 09-05-13, 07:16 AM
HELP How to wire 2 v8043e1012 zone valves into a weil Mclain CGM-3-PI gas boiler

OK guys, hoping for some help here.
I have a Weil Mclain CGM-3-PI NAT GAS BOILER that services the whole house
with no zone valves, and one thermostat that is on the first floor.

I want to install 2 zone valves with a second thermostat on the second floor.

I have 2 Honeywell v8043 e 1012 zone valves. I know how to sweat them into the two zones (1 upstairs, 1 down) along with the purge valves.

About a year ago, the electronic ignition crapped out, and I had the boiler switched to a standing pilot.

I found the manual for the boiler here : https://www.google.com/search?q=cgm-...ient=firefox-a
*You may have to download it, it didn't work the right way until I put it into adobe reader.

I have pics of the wiring diagram and of what the on line manual instruct
on adding zones, but I am a little iffy on the wiring.
pics here:
Cgm-3-pi Weil McLain Photos by steely11 | Photobucket

Really appreciate any help.
Thx !

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-13, 03:45 PM
After some digging, it looks like I need to wire a new 24v 40 transformer to power the zone valves.
Any input on which model I should order ?

Old 09-05-13, 05:22 PM
NJT
Any input on which model I should order ?
There are many manufacturers of control transformers. Perhaps the easiest type to use is one which mounts on a 4" cover plate that mounts on a 4" utility box. The Honeywell here would be fine:

AT140A1018 - Honeywell AT140A1018 - Foot Mounted 120/208/240 Vac Transformer w/ 9 in. Lead Wires (40VA)

Some will tell you that it is OK to 'rob' the 24VAC from the transformer on the boiler control, but I would recommend against that. This transformer is for operating the gas valve in your boiler and will not have enough extra capacity to run an additional 2 zone valves.

Your existing thermostat should be wired to the R and G terminals on the boiler control.

These wires will be removed and wired as shown in the first picture in your album.

The wires from the zone valves on the right side of that drawing are coming from what is called the ENDSWITCH in the zone valve. If you are going to use Honeywell 8043E series valves, these will be the RED wires. As shown, these red wires are connected together and they will wire to the R and G terminals in the boiler as the original existing thermostat was wired.

Old 09-12-13, 03:54 PM
Thank you so much for your help !

I bought the transformer you suggested and installed it.
The wiring for the thermostats makes sense to me, although one wire is yellow, and the other one begins as orange and then is spliced into another yellow wire...which one of these is to be connected to HOT ? I'm thinking the orange one but I'd like to be sure.

On the red wires, they are both just red. On the bottom of the valve cover is a diagram showing end and switch, but neither wire has a marker to show which is end and which is switch ?
I get how the same wire should be wired together with the same wire from valve to valve, but which set goes to R and which set goes to G ? Or does it not matter ?

I added 3 pics to photobucket so you can see what I am talking about.

Old 09-12-13, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
On the bottom of the valve cover is a diagram showing end and switch, but neither wire has a marker to show which is end and which is switch ?
Not to make fun but you did make me laugh with that statement...

It does not matter as they are both the end switch wires and there is no separate end..or...switch....

I think this is the diagram but showing 3 zones and stats.

Name:  t stat.jpg
Views: 39015
Size:  21.2 KB

Old 09-12-13, 05:20 PM
NJT
which one of these is to be connected to HOT ?
It doesn't matter. The motors in the valves operate on AC and it is not polarity sensitive.

Also as Mike said, the polarity of the RED wires does not matter either.

The boiler control in the drawing Mike posted is not the one that is on your boiler. Where that drawing shows the red wires going to " T T " terminals, on your boiler that red wiring will land on the " R and G " terminals. That's the only difference.

Old 09-12-13, 06:12 PM
I knew I was gonna come off as a dummy to the pros here, that's all right!
I'd rather take some lumps vs. buying new parts

I appreciate your help gents !

Old 09-12-13, 06:40 PM
NJT
Naaah, it's all in fun! We don't mean nuthin by it. You should hear the stuff we say to each other in the private lounge!

Let us know how you do!

Old 09-14-13, 07:10 AM
Thumbs up

Got er done boys!
Accidentally wired the 1st floor thermo to the second floor zone and had to switch it, but other that easy job.

Thank you again !

Old 09-14-13, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Great... Good job..............

Old 09-14-13, 08:57 AM
NJT
Excellent! Thanks for closing the story! Good Luck with it!