Radiator plumbing

Old 09-05-13, 08:16 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Radiator plumbing

I am installing an outdoor wood boiler which is an open system and heating my house and a workshop with separate circulating pumps.

The house is a h2o to air heat exchanger and I have no problem with that system. It is the other one which I have a cast iron radiator I would like to use. This rad was used in a steam system because of the size of pipe coming out of both ends of the lower tube, it also has an air bleed screw on the top tube on one end. I am using one inch pex pipe coming from the wood boiler.

My question is how do I plumb this rad so it will fill with water? Do I remove the upper plug at the end opposite of the air bleed for the inlet and the return would be the lower tube at the end below the air bleed?

Old 09-05-13, 04:06 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
My question is how do I plumb this rad so it will fill with water? Do I remove the upper plug at the end opposite of the air bleed for the inlet and the return would be the lower tube at the end below the air bleed?
This radiator was used with a ONE PIPE steam system? Thus you have only one opening at this time?

The 'air bleed' you speak of may actually be a STEAM VENT, and that will have to be changed to an air bleed valve which you can manually open and close.

I believe you can go in and out on the bottom of the radiator if you have plugs at both sides on the bottom, but if you do go high/low with the piping, you want the hot water coming into the radiator at the BOTTOM and the return at the TOP.

Old 09-06-13, 03:46 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think it was used in a two pipe system because there is a union coupler on each end of the lower tube.

If I go in and out of the bottom I assume I will have to have a shut off on the return line to be able to fill the rad and to bleed out the air.

Old 09-06-13, 08:58 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I don't know if we're both on the same page... I may be misunderstanding what you want to do.

Are you planning on using the radiator on the UN-pressurized OPEN side of the system?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: