oil to gas

Old 09-05-13, 03:00 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question oil to gas

I have an old thread, but want to focus on one thing not really answered. This is deciding to convert a steam boiler/burner to natural gas.

The efficiency for the gas set-up is 82.4 (Peerless Series 63 - 63-04 or 63-04L) which does qualify for the NJ rebate and the utility NJNG rebate. My concern is that I think the oil is something like 85 (Weil-McLain Gold Series 3 Model P-SGO-4).

As I am going down in efficiency, should I be concerned and maybe it is not wise to convert? Also that gas is just not as hot, and takes longer to heat up the house I have heard?

Your thoughts?

Old 09-05-13, 03:57 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The "efficiency" to which you refer is combustion efficiency, not overall system efficiency. There really is no way to measure the system efficiency in an installed system. The AFUE readings used in advertising are done under laboratory conditions and are only useful in comparing similar pieces of equipment and they have little meaning in the real world.

The efficiency for the gas set-up is 82.4 (Peerless Series 63 - 63-04 or 63-04L) which does qualify for the NJ rebate and the utility NJNG rebate. My concern is that I think the oil is something like 85 (Weil-McLain Gold Series 3 Model P-SGO-4).
Nothing to be concerned about. Gas combustion efficiency is almost always less than oil and it has more to do with the chemistry and physics of combustion than anything.

As I am going down in efficiency, should I be concerned and maybe it is not wise to convert?
A drop in combustion efficiency of 2.6% versus a drop in fuel cost of around 50% should not take Danica McKellar to figure out whether or not it is a wise move.

Also that gas is just not as hot, and takes longer to heat up the house I have heard?
Pure unadulterated BS. The flame temperature has almost nothing to do with the BTUs delivered to the boiler. Properly set up there will be no difference in the time required to heat the house.

Old 09-05-13, 04:17 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Also that gas is just not as hot, and takes longer to heat up the house I have heard?
A Btu is a Btu. Where did you hear that myth? At the barber shop? On the internet?

Last edited by NJT; 09-05-13 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 06:08 PM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
qualify for the NJ rebate
If you're talking about the "Warm Advantage" program, I believe you may have missed the boat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: