Taco 007-F4 circulator question

Old 09-16-13, 09:26 AM
Taco 007-F4 circulator question

Hello,
I just moved and bought a home with baseboard HW and 4 zones each with a Taco 007-F4 circulator. The end of the HW outlet leads to a Taco 007-F5 circulator that goes to the reservoir for my hot water for my house. After a week in the house I noticed that the heat was on in one of the zones even though the thermostat was off, and it would heat up when enough hot water was being used in the house to trigger the furnace. I suspected that the zone valve was bad at the time so I closed the ball valve on the return side and temporarily stopped the flow of heat to that zone, not realizing that its actually a circulator pump.

My question is this, does the 007-F4 act as a a valve and a pump such that low pressure produced by another circulator on the system enough to circulate the water if the valve is stuck open? Or is there an electrical issue that continued to cause the circulator to fire?

I have the old school taco isolation valves in line with the circulators that take the allen wrench/slotted screw driver head to open and close. Are those dependable? If so I think I can do this myself. If not, I think I need help from a professional.

Thanks
Greg Ehle

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-13, 10:04 AM
NJT
My question is this, does the 007-F4 act as a a valve and a pump such that low pressure produced by another circulator on the system enough to circulate the water if the valve is stuck open? Or is there an electrical issue that continued to cause the circulator to fire?
Some models of the Taco pumps DO have what they call 'internal flow check' valves (IFC). Not sure if your older ones would have this though... take a look at the label on the pump and see if it says IFC anywhere in the model number.

Can you tell if the pump is in fact running?

taco isolation valves in line with the circulators that take the allen wrench/slotted screw driver head to open and close. Are those dependable?
You mean a valve built into the pump flanges? By dependable, do you mean "do the actually work and shut off the water flow" ? Yes, probably.

You are asking this in case you need to change the pump, is that right?

Don't be so quick to change the pump...

Are there any other valves in the lines to / from the zones? I'm wondering if you have flow check valves elsewhere and perhaps one is open...

Can you post pics of the piping all around the boiler? Let's have a look-see...

Old 09-16-13, 12:07 PM
I do not see IFC on this particular circulator, but it does seem that the replacement is an IFC. I do not think its running as it isn't vibrating or making any sound. When the circulator turns on for the hot water system there is a little hum and clicking noise. I closed the return valve on the zone that heats up with the hot water in the pics to keep the zone from heating up. It is a slant fin boiler. Thank you for your help!

corroded circulator and isolator valves
Name:  IMG_2449.jpg
Views: 4906
Size:  36.2 KB

electrical
Name:  IMG_2448.jpg
Views: 4760
Size:  37.1 KB

return lines with closed valve
Name:  IMG_2444.jpg
Views: 4877
Size:  41.2 KB

whole system
Name:  IMG_2437.jpg
Views: 6456
Size:  46.4 KB

whole system (edit added this pic)
Name:  IMG_2443.jpg
Views: 4803
Size:  38.7 KB

Old 09-16-13, 12:51 PM
NJT
it does seem that the replacement is an IFC
You've already purchased the replacement you mean? and it's an IFC ? good!

I don't see any other flow check valves in the system, but they could be up higher, out of the pics? You don't see any 'devices' on the supply or return lines up high, do you?

Ultimately, you may need (or want) flow checks on all the zones...

But, I do believe that replacing that pump with an IFC will be your first step. The leaking flanges needed 'looking after' in any case!

Old 09-16-13, 04:37 PM
I have not purchased the new circulator, but I have done some reading on them. Taco makes both an IFC and a non-IFC and it seems like the IFC is the way to go. Back when the 007-f4 was made there was not and IFC option. I know that the isolation valves need replacing, I figure when the furnace goes and the whole system needs draining...