Totaline Thermostats making slight buzz

Old 09-20-13, 05:27 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Totaline Thermostats making slight buzz

seems like this just started,,,I have a 4 zone system....3 zones controlled by hard wire Totalines...one by a portable Honeywell

I might be crazy, but it seems like they (3 hardwires) are all now giving off a slight buzz...have to be within 12 inches of the therm to hear it...but they are all doing it..

Voltage on the back of the plate of the therms (when cover is removed) is 27.25V

I know there are 2 transformers on my furnace...is this normal or has the voltage spiked a bit...any danger in letting it operate..all functions working...

Is this correct Voltage??

Any help appreciated...

Old 09-20-13, 05:53 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Hi Bernie, welcome to the forum!

one by a portable Honeywell
Portable meaning wireless?

I might be crazy
Yeah, me too... no, wait, that's pretty much a GIVEN!

I know there are 2 transformers on my furnace
Are they both running the zone valves? or is one for the zone valves and one for the gas valve?

A 'conservative' installer might only wire TWO zone valves per 40VA (wattage rating of a typical transformer, NOT the voltage rating) transformer so since you have 4 zones it's not unheard of to have two transformers. You can usually run three valves on a 40VA so maybe it's split 3 and 1.

Or, maybe something else altogether!

Do these thermostats also control a cooling system?

Voltage on the back of the plate of the therms (when cover is removed) is 27.25V
That's normal. They call them 24V transformers, but 'nominal' is actually closer to your measurement.

any danger in letting it operate..all functions working...
Probably no danger... and it's possible they've been buzzing all along and you just haven't noticed.

Old 09-21-13, 06:20 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your comments...

The portable is in fact a wireless...there are two transformers, one for the zone valves, and one operating the 3 Totalines....the portable of course is battery operated

All thermostats control both heating and A/C

Anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe that we hadn't noticed this buzz before in 10 years of run time...even though it is slight...strange...but as long as the voltage is at 27-28V and no danger...will just let it run.

Old 09-21-13, 06:52 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I find it hard to believe that we hadn't noticed this buzz before in 10 years of run time...
Yeah, that is kinda weird... I know my own hearing was much better 10 years ago!

The fact that all has been working that long tells me that there are no wiring problems. Sometimes when a single thermostat controls both a heating and a cooling system, it is possible to mis-wire and have the transformers on the heating side backfeed the transformers on the cooling side (and vice versa) because they each have their own transformers. It is also possible that the two transformers end up appearing in SERIES with each other and this doubles the voltage... which of course would have disastrous results. That's why there are " R " and " Rc " terminals. Those are the 'returns' for the individual systems. Generally with a dual system setup those terminals are 'unlinked' (as shipped most thermostats have a link between them) in order to keep the two systems separate.

Bottom line, if it's been working for that long, PROBABLY ok... but maybe a cursory inspection of the wiring is in order... loose connections, etc...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: