exhaust vent for furnace and water heater

Old 09-21-13, 10:26 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exhaust vent for furnace and water heater

My exhaust vent for my furnace and water heater broke from the spot it pokes out of the roof. It also shifted so the top stack and the bottom aren't aligned perfectly so it is exhausting in to my attic. so to prevent it exhausting in my attic and for a temp fix i used a metal duck tape 555 and taped around the break. I am sure it can still exhaust threw the roof. will the exhaust still exhaust up or go back down to my basement?

Attached Images   
Old 09-22-13, 12:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,598 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It looks the roof is leaking there and has caused the vent pipe to rust out. That should be repaired as soon as possible. Repaired......not patched. At the very least you need to replace the rusted out piece of pipe. The metal foil tape is just not going to cut it.

Old 09-22-13, 08:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The hvac guy i have coming to fix it wont be able to get her until Wednesday or maybe Friday. i was just wondering if the tape is ok for a temp fix until it can get fixed. and i was wonering if this would make the exhaust go back down into the basement.

Old 09-22-13, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,598 Votes on 1,473 Posts
The tape is a very temporary fix. Exhaust gases are not something to mess around with.

If the two pipes are open to each other then the hot gases should rise to outside.

Old 09-22-13, 11:10 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
It looks the roof is leaking there and has caused the vent pipe to rust out
Yes, but it may also be that it had come apart for some other reason, had been broken for some time, and the moisture is condensation from the flue gases.

What type of pipe is that? I hope that you don't tell me that it is single wall galvanized?

In my opinion, that entire chimney installation looks very wrong.

I don't condone that 'fix' as even a temporary one. But you do what you gotta do I guess. Do NOT delay a proper, permanent, fix ! Get that repaired ASAP!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: