vaillant f75-w-55 beckett burner

Old 09-25-13, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vaillant f75-w-55 beckett burner

I live in NH and had annual fall cleaning and tune up on my Vaillant F75-W-55 boiler
by my local oil supplier. Boiler is about 22 years old, no leaks and I recently replaced combustion chamber and replaced burner motor last year. Right off the bat the tech indicated this boiler is getting old and tired and I should consider replacement. I told him to clean it and tune it up. In the end it tested out at 81.8% efficiency not great but still better than last years 80.8. The boiler doesn't look pretty but its been very reliable maybe not the most efficient unit? We are planning to downsize to a new home next year. My dilemma is stick with my current unit and let new homeowner replace or upgrade or bite the bullet and replace. One thing the tech told be that sticks with me is this boiler was a home depot contractor special. This boiler is the original unit installed by builder. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-13, 05:47 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Right off the bat the tech indicated this boiler is getting old and tired and I should consider replacement.
Of course he did. He probably stands to make a nice commission on the sale. Don't fall for it.

One thing the tech told be that sticks with me is this boiler was a home depot contractor special.
BULL. Home Depot never sold Vaillant boilers.

They are not 'bad' boilers... the cast iron sections are cast by the Buderus foundry in Germany.

The only 'downside' to these boilers is the fact that they are a royal PITA to clean properly, and if the tech did not remove the top cover, and those plates held in place by the spring clips and brush down the vertical flues on each side... AND remove the cover on the front of the boiler and then remove the plate behind the cover and clean out the heat exchanger, he did NOT do a thorough cleaning...

They are a ROYAL ROYAL PITA! make not mistake about it. They SERIOUSLY 5UCK to clean! I am so glad that mine is FINALLY in a scrap pile behind my garage.

HOWEVER... it makes absolutely ZERO sense to me to replace it now, if it is working properly, and you are planning on getting out... let the new owners deal with it.