recommendation for transformer and zone valves

Old 09-26-13, 11:25 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recommendation for transformer and zone valves

Hello,
I am changing the oil boiler heating system in my house from one zone to two zones. I need a recommendation on which zone valves and what transformer I should buy. Currently there are no zone valves in the system and, rather than adding an additional circulation pump and controls, I am thinking I would rather add a transformer and zone valves.
I am looking for reliable components. What do you recommend?
Jim King

Old 09-26-13, 04:25 PM
G
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Google "hot water heating zone valves" - there are several popular brands, and any should be satisfactory. But, you will have to check the specs for voltages, pipe connection sizes, etc. Installing the zone valves will, of course, require some significant plumbing changes.

The 24-V transformer must have a VA rating at least equal to the total VA of the two zone valves. Transformer manufacturer is immaterial.

How is your circulator now being controlled? From a 24-V thermostat, through a relay? If so, you may already have a sufficient 24-V xfmr if you know how to wire up all the controls.

Old 09-26-13, 04:57 PM
NJT
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Jim, I would choose a valve that has READILY AVAILABLE parts. I think that Honeywell or Taco both fall into this category.

All zone valve power heads eventually bite the bullet. When they do, you want to be able to get a replacement as soon as possible. Even my local Home Depot has the power heads for the Honeywell 8043 series ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: