recommendation for transformer and zone valves

Old 09-26-13, 11:25 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recommendation for transformer and zone valves

I am changing the oil boiler heating system in my house from one zone to two zones. I need a recommendation on which zone valves and what transformer I should buy. Currently there are no zone valves in the system and, rather than adding an additional circulation pump and controls, I am thinking I would rather add a transformer and zone valves.
I am looking for reliable components. What do you recommend?
Jim King
Old 09-26-13, 04:25 PM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 3,060
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Google "hot water heating zone valves" - there are several popular brands, and any should be satisfactory. But, you will have to check the specs for voltages, pipe connection sizes, etc. Installing the zone valves will, of course, require some significant plumbing changes.

The 24-V transformer must have a VA rating at least equal to the total VA of the two zone valves. Transformer manufacturer is immaterial.

How is your circulator now being controlled? From a 24-V thermostat, through a relay? If so, you may already have a sufficient 24-V xfmr if you know how to wire up all the controls.
Old 09-26-13, 04:57 PM
NJT's Avatar
NJT is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 23,538
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Jim, I would choose a valve that has READILY AVAILABLE parts. I think that Honeywell or Taco both fall into this category.

All zone valve power heads eventually bite the bullet. When they do, you want to be able to get a replacement as soon as possible. Even my local Home Depot has the power heads for the Honeywell 8043 series ...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: