Conversion action taken

Old 10-12-13, 07:41 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Conversion action taken

I wanted to say what my decision was on converting from oil to natural gas steam system with radiators because of all the help I have received here in several threads. Sorry for the long journey as I learned and sometimes looped around. It was all new and educational, at times confusing. I feel very good about what I am doing.

Boiler. Decision between Burnham INS4 and Peerless 63-03. Either would be fine. With my contractor, who attended Dan Halahan's (Mr. Steam) classes, and my having read Dan's books as well, we choose the Peerless because its slightly larger sq ft / net btu available size covers EDRs from 3 different charts (Dan's older chart that subtracts out space between rad sections, a chart from here that uses depth instead of the number of tubes, Dan's newer chart that uses the count of tubes instead of depth). The Peerless is also heavier and assumed thicker cast iron, several people said that was good. I learned that the EDR is key for steam, but it is a little less important for the lower efficiency boilers and there is some "fudge" factor. The contractor also put into the contract a guarantee the boiler was sized correctly.

Water Heater. With a very low use of hot water, several sources said go with a small standard electric tank because the stand-by loss is what matters, not heating water. I am getting the Sears Kenmore (made by A.O. Smith) 38 gallon short tank that has 2 1/2 inches insulation and a 9-year full warranty for $110 that covers parts, labor, install fee if a new one is needed, trip charge, free annual check-up, and if their service cannot make it in a specified time frame I can use anyone and get reimbursed.

I had all pipes professionally insulated. I am probably going to buy Radflek reflection sheets to put behind rads (neater than my inventing something with aluminum foil).

So good-bye to "no heat" calls from oil clots or out-of-oil. Good-bye to the tankless-thankless coil for domestic water and the warm start, very oversized oil boiler. I look forward to the cold start boiler that will be off all summer.

Best of all, the news just reported that natural gas prices in NJ decrease this winter thanks to being next door to Pennsylvania. And rebates are still available.

I hope this summary helps others as this forum has helped me.

Last edited by netmouse; 10-12-13 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-13, 09:25 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Good deal net!

news just reported that natural gas prices in NJ decrease this winter
I've been hearing the opposite... something about 13% increase... but still, WAY cheaper than oil, and always will be.

Old 10-12-13, 03:19 PM
Z
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
Congratulations!!!

....It was all new and educational, at times confusing. I feel very good about what I am doing.
I bet you do. IMHO it seems to me that you really put a lot of work into it and you will reap your reward.

(pretty good teachers here - wouldn't you say? well I guess excellent is more the proper word.)

Good luck.

p.s when you turn on your new system you can have a ceremony and burn a map of Saudi Arabia or something. LOL

Old 10-13-13, 04:35 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some have asked about the sizing forms: Here ya go. 2 forms (both at the heatinghelp.com forum).

This is the one posted at this forum that uses depth instead of section count:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/pos...ng%20Chart.pdf

This is another that uses count of sections instead of depth - it is the "new" form used in Dan's Holohan's latest book on steam.

http://www.columbiaheatingsupply.com...ty%20Guide.pdf

Old 10-13-13, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Good deal net!

news just reported that natural gas prices in NJ decrease this winter

I've been hearing the opposite... something about 13% increase... but still, WAY cheaper than oil, and always will be.

FYI Trooper... ( and all other NJ residents....)

New Jersey Resources :: News Center :: News Releases :: 2013 :: New Jersey Natural Gas