Combustion Adjustment for Munchkin Boiler

Old 10-16-13, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Combustion Adjustment for Munchkin Boiler

Does anyone know of any good references for adjusting the combustion on a T80 Munchkin boiler? I've found a few posts on here regarding oil combustion, but no gas stuff.

It's currently running propane but I'm switching to NG. I contacted Munchkin and they said this boiler won't require any parts changes, just combustion tweaks. The service company wants $300 to do it and I know it's only tweaking a screw or two and maybe 20 mins of work. Obviously the analyzer itself is costly but if I can find out how to do it maybe I can save money on yearly servicing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-13, 04:25 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi Slade, that $300 is for the rental of the combustion equipment and the operator that knows how to use them. Who is doing the work to convert the home to NG? I would think that person would be including the adjustments in the cost of the conversion work.

Old 10-17-13, 04:57 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It's currently running propane but I'm switching to NG. I contacted Munchkin and they said this boiler won't require any parts changes
That is interesting. The Btu content of natural gas and propane are quite a bit different. There must be a computer that somehow automatically makes the conversion? How does it know that the fuel has changed? Normally, I would have expected that an orifice would need to be changed, but I don't know anything about these European boilers.

Old 10-17-13, 05:03 PM
NJT
I don't think Munchkin is European... ?

Commercial and Residential Water Heaters, Boilers, Solar Water Heaters - HTP

It's a mod/con boiler.

I'm surprised too that there would be no orifice change, but given that it is a mod/con perhaps the controls CAN figure out what's going on somehow.

Old 10-17-13, 05:48 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
From the Munchkin website:
The Munchkin Boiler is one of the most compact and efficient residential boiler available on the market today. Proven European technology, manufactured in the United States.
So, it's a European-designed boiler manufactured in the U.S., at least the ones sold in the U.S., I guess. I believe that Munchkin is the German name for Munich. And, here I thought the munchkins were those high-pitched dwarfs in the Wizard of Oz movie.

But, when I hear that a boiler is "compact," I immediately wonder if it can be worked on by normal DIYers and if its components are proprietary.

Old 10-18-13, 02:52 AM
You must have a combustion analyzer and a magnahelic gauge to make the proper gas valve adjustments. I would also recommend a good cleaning of the heat exchanger/combustion chamber.$300 is not out of line for service.

Old 10-18-13, 05:14 AM
NJT
it's a European-designed boiler manufactured in the U.S.,
I don't know if that's accurate or not... "European technology" to me is not the same as "European designed". I believe I read some time back that they use the Giannini Heat Exchanger... which doesn't mean a lot to me as I don't know what that actually is. It may be possible that they purchase the heat exchanger and build a boiler of their own design around that heat exchanger. But I don't know this for sure.

But, it's really got nothing to do with the customer question.

Old 10-18-13, 05:50 PM
I now of at least 4 HE boilers using the Giannini exchanger. All of them have thier good and bad pionts. The Munchkin is an American made boiler, made in Massachusetts from European parts...

Old 10-20-13, 06:34 AM
Haha so what I'm gathering from this is that I have a ****ty boiler and just pay the guy the $300 to convert it.

Old 10-20-13, 07:33 AM
Not saying that the Munchkin is a bad boiler at all. I have quite a few of these under my belt and as long as the installation, set up with an analyser, settings made with the controller, and proper annual maintenance (witch can be done yourself with some research) are all done correctly, your boiler will give you many years of excellent, dependable and efficient service. Of course your efficiency will depend a lot on how air tight and how well insulated your house is as well as the type of heat emiters you have. And as always with any mod/con you will get your best efficiency when the boiler is condensing.

Old 10-20-13, 08:18 AM
NJT
I don't know why you got that impression Slade? I don't see where anyone spoke badly of Munchkin...

From what I've heard of the company, they have good products, good customer relations, etc., but I don't personally have any experience with their products.

Most any boiler is only as good as it's installation, and usually when ppl talk poo about some product, it's either installed poorly, spec'd improperly, or abused in some way.

Yes, there's always exceptions to the rule, but Munchkin isn't one of them.

As far as adjusting a gas fired boiler, you do need some rather expensive equipment to do so. If you feel as though you would want to purchase the equipment to save a couple hundred bucks, well, that's completely your decision, BUT it does require training to properly use this equipment safely (and is beyond the scope of the forum, partially due to LIABILITY issues).

SOME jurisdictions require gas techs to be LICENSED...

Old 10-21-13, 11:22 PM
I've had 4 different contractors give me quotes in the past few months and a couple of them said they don't really care for Munchkin anymore because they stopped standing behind their product. Not sure if that's actually true.

You're right certain tools are needed to adjust the boiler... but that's really all I was curious about (which ones are they). Just want to know how difficult it really is. My NG install is finally happening in the next couple weeks so I'll see how he does it.

Tx for the info.

Old 10-22-13, 10:55 PM
So it's $400... flush out heat exchanger, download latest parameters from the factory (this is pointless), check fault history, warrantied for a year.