Boiler Flue Damper Control

Old 10-21-13, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler Flue Damper Control

I have a flue damper (motor) that went bad on me, Fields Controls Mod. GVD-6. Is it worth the $125.00 to replace it, or just by-pass and lock damper open? Just curious as to the efficiency savings of it being in place.

Last edited by roadking; 10-21-13 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-13, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Its up to you.... The saving are nil IMO...1% eff maybe????

Old 10-21-13, 08:59 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Probably a bigger part of the savings would come from not sucking heat out of the home and up the chimney during the 'off' periods when the boiler isn't even running.

I added one to my recent install because it's in an unheated part of home and didn't wan't cold air flowing through boiler at all times. Lots of heat loss from boiler cooling very quickly during off time.

So, it depends on where the boiler is installed as how much you will save.

If it's in a cold place, more savings... warm place, less... but yeah, not a whole lot... I doubt more than 2%.

Old 10-21-13, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have a domestic hot water coil in your boiler it might be more worth replacing motor. Since it would be beneficial all year round.

I really do notice my boiler firing less in the summer than it use to without the vent damper.
I remember when I had my underground oil tank replaced with an above ground tank. The installer was shocked that after the boiler was off all day that it did not fire right up when he went to test his work. He commented on whenever he does a domestic coil boiler that they are always cooled down to fire right up when he is done with his work.

Just my 2 cents