Energy Kinetics 2000 - hot water thermostat question

Old 10-25-13, 05:41 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Energy Kinetics 2000 - hot water thermostat question

Hello,
I'm new here - signed up to get some help with this. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I've got an Energy Kinetics system 2000 installed in 2010. We are unable to get the hot water temp above 93F. Am I missing something?

- the cold water mix valve is at its maximum flow of hot water
- the thermostat on the hot water storage tank is maxed out

The boiler seems to be cycling properly and holds the hot water heat very steady at 93, + or - only 1 degree.

A service guy came today and replaced the board and the circulating pump. Before this we had hotter water, but it was slow to reheat after you emptied the tank.

thanks again for any help.

Old 10-25-13, 06:47 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I don't know much about the EK systems... but:

A service guy came today and replaced the board and the circulating pump.
He didn't fix it so you didn't have to pay him, correct?

I'll see if I can shake up one of the guys who do know these...

Old 10-26-13, 08:11 AM
E
much thanks.

brief update: the water did eventually come up to 110, but it took over 3 hours to get there. later today we'll try draining the tank again and seeing how long it takes to warm back up.

Old 10-28-13, 06:01 AM
H
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
From a cold start a standard 40 gallon tank should reheat and satisfy the thermostat in no more than 20 minutes. Without more info it sounds like the plate heat exchanger may have a scale buildup that prevents rapid heat transfer. If that is the case it can be cleaned and a Scale Stopper installed to prevent a recurrence.

The manager would not cause your problem and hopefully you did not get charged for it.

Old 11-04-13, 06:40 PM
E
Thanks again for your help. It was indeed the heat exchanger being blocked with scale. They swapped it out and now water heats up quickly.

And yes, they are only charging us for a single visit with the other trips counted as callbacks. I have yet to hear if the parts are covered under warranty though.
Best
Andy

Old 11-05-13, 06:11 AM
H
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If your plate exchanger scaled up that much in 3 years you should seriously consider having a Scale Stopper installed in the cold water makeup line. Replace the cartridge yearly and you'll never have that problem again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: