Hot water heater vs. boiler

Old 10-27-13, 05:22 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hot water heater vs. boiler

I live in SE Pa. and during the warmer months I have an electric hot water heater for my domestic water. In the winter I turn on my summer-winter boiler for heat and domestic water. Would it be beneficial to me to just leave on the electric h.w heater during the winter months and only use the boiler for baseboard heat? My boiler is set for 165 to 180 degrees for the heat but I don't need that kind of temperature for my domestic water because I would only wind up cooling it down with cold water anyway. The h.w. heater is set for about 110 degrees.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-13, 05:58 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
I don't think so. You didn't say what fuel you use for heating, but a Btu supplied by electricity is much more expensive than a Btu supplied by either natural gas or oil. If you have natural gas, best to replace your electric water heater with a standalone gas heater.

Old 10-28-13, 04:03 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have oil fired hot water baseboard heat. I also only run the hot water heater for about 6 hours a day as I have it on a timer.

Last edited by erniebanks; 10-28-13 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 02:26 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
If the boiler has an internal "tankless" coil the electric water heater is probably a more efficient method of heating the domestic water. You DO need to either change the aquastat, or in some models, disable the device that keeps the boiler hot for domestic water for maximum economy. Also, it is debatable if the timer on the electric water heater really saves you much.

Old 10-28-13, 05:58 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
it is debatable if the timer on the electric water heater really saves you much.
I did some extensive testing on mine at some time in the last century... and I concluded that I could not 'see' the savings through the 'noise' in the data. In other words, there wasn't enough savings in electricity over about 6 months to notice a difference in my electric bill and to definitely attribute any savings to the timer on the water heater.