Boiler distribution manifold question

Old 10-30-13, 11:14 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Boiler distribution manifold question

I I have Burnham 205A (105,000 BTU) boiler with TACO 007-F4 pump. All piping is copper M soldered joints.

I had two 3/4" loops with two horizontal swing check valves all was well until I added 630 sf addition and needed to supply heat to it. I have re-did my distribution manifold to include 3x 3/4" loops using ball valves for shut off and threaded spring valves in vertical position sandwich with unions. The check valves are making rattling noise - especially on the 2 existing loops, the new loop being 1st to feed from 1-1/2" x 1-1/4" x 3/4" Tee; the next is 1-1/4" x 1" x 3/4" Tee; last is 1" x 3/4" x 3/4" tee this has bypass loop with ball valves for shut off and spring loaded check valve when on makes also rattling noise - I was thinking to use this to allow some hot water would go directly into the boiler return to reduce condensation issues (I did not had that before). I am using 1-1/2" Spirovent micro bubble air eliminator directly from boiler and Spirotop on return side.

The possible mistake I have made is that the boiler has 1-1/4" inlet and outlet, so does the TACO 007-F4 pump. I have mistakenly ordered the 1-1/2" air vent and this being late September took the chance and installed it with 1-1/2" pipe - I thought the short run of larger pipe would have insignificant impact on the performance. However now I am rethinking this whole thing because the larger pipe might be causing too much turbulence causing the spring valves closing and opening rapidly.

What is your take on this? Should I re-do it to the correct 1-1/4" main distribution size - would that take the vibration out? Or is there anything else I can do to remedy this for this season and re-do in the late spring next year.

Thank for any help suggestions.

Red-faced in Longmont

Old 10-30-13, 04:37 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Colorado!

I doubt that the pipe size issue is an issue at all...

Can you take some pics of the job so we can see? Much easier seeing than trying to visualize.

It does sound as though turbulence is the issue.

Old 10-31-13, 08:35 AM
L
Here are the pics

Here are the pics

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/at...1&d=1383233445

Attached Images    
Old 11-03-13, 05:13 PM
L
Problem solved

Hi NJ,

Thanks for your reply.

I have discovered that the Petrolatum from flux has washed out and clogged my main air eliminator collecting air pocket and thus loosing pressure - so air was not being purged going in to the loops. I kind of suspect it might also have build up on the propeller of the pump. There is just not enough flow being generated by the pump. I have removed the springs from the check valves and all noise went away (the flow is from ground up into the check valve so they will close when flow stops by weight of the piston - I have placed the nut back very tight on it so it would hold the piston from blocking the up flow - both of the nuts by the spring and on top of the piston were 10mm. I do not know what the spring rating is - they are BII or Boshart Industries Inc. part no.: 17YBCV075. Its about the same as the American Valve brand 3/4" check valves found at L o w e s (they have check valves by the hose faucet section - none of their employees knew that - go figure - took a while to find them as I was considering replacing them 1st). I have completely purged the system about 3x fill - heat -purge -fill - heat - purge. Then I have filled in boiler cleaner and system maintainer by Hercules 35206 - oil, free with silicone, removes rust, scale, sludge, non draining, I'll purge it again next weekend, and place back the cleaner / maintainer for the season. I have new pump on order TACO 007 F5 to replace the old one - hopefully that will create more flow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: