Grundfos UP 15-42F groaning

Old 10-30-13, 02:17 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grundfos UP 15-42F groaning

I have in-floor heating (40 gal propane water heater) powered by a Grundfos UP 15-42F pump which has worked well for about 8 years.

Similar thread

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...tion-pump.html

It started up for this year's heating system two weeks ago just fine but is now the pump is "groaning" quite loudly on about a 10 second cycle. I doesn't sound like "gravel" or "marbles" and has worked fine for years so I don't think it is cavitation. Turning on or off the number of heat loop sections (areas of floor heat) doesn't change the sound. The pump seems to be moving water just fine but this puppy is LOUD. Ideas?
-Jeff

Last edited by lawrosa; 10-30-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-30-13, 04:30 PM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Are you also using the water heater for domestic hot water in addition to the floor heating?

(I'll hold my tongue on the use of a water heater to provide space heating in a home... I'm sure others won't though! )

OR, are you running the heating system ONLY off this water heater, and is it a CLOSED SYSTEM?

If it's an OPEN system (also providing domestic hot water) then the pump and all other parts that come in contact with the water should be NON-FERROUS material. The pump should be BRONZE or STAINLESS.

Do you want us to tell you to replace the pump cartridge?

G-506171 - Grundfos G-506171 - Cartridge Replacement Kit for UP15-42F/FR (Brute II) 115/230 V Pump

This is from the manual for cartridge replacement:

After removing old cartridge...

Inspect the exposed inside of the stator housing. If there are
signs of corrosion or water damage then the pump cannot be
repaired.
If the system is an OPEN one, you will be replacing this every few years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: