replaced obsolete aquatat; where to hook up damper vent motor?

Old 10-31-13, 05:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replaced obsolete aquatat; where to hook up damper vent motor?

hi. i've been absent from this forum for awhile as everything in my solar /boiler array has been working flawlessly. until a few days ago. i was looking for a possible leak in the boiler and happened to pull off the aquastat cover and found the neutral wire substantially charred. i assume the aquastat was toast and bought another one. the new one is a "universal". here's my question. original stat was a L8148E1141. it had just B1` and B2 for the burner hookup. the replacement the local plumbing shop sold me is an L8148 J1009 and it has 3 burner screws. it indicates that B1 and B3 are for a 24 volt gas valve, which mine is. I had drawn a diagram of what wire went where before I started and hooked it all back up the same way, only I have a gas valve lead and the yellow wire from the damper motor both on B3. damper motor is an Effikal 718472. the boiler won't fire. i disconnected the damper motor, (made sure the damper was open) hooked the gas valve leads to B1 and B3 and boiler fires. The problem is in the damper motor somewhere. I found a wiring diagram on weil-mclain website and it refers to an in line fuse somewhere in the wiring insulation. I checked continuity on all 4 wires of the damper motor and all have continuity, so i am assuming the in line fuse is ok. so should the yellow lead go to terminal B3? and if so, do i then assume the damper motor must be toast but did not blow the fuse? thanks alot. i really do appreciate being able to ask this question to someone I know has the answer.

Old 10-31-13, 05:37 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Hello Montana! Glad yer stuff is all good to go until now.

What's the full model of the Effikal, and where are the rest of the wires going?

should the yellow lead go to terminal B3?
From what I can see so far, NO.

Old 10-31-13, 05:54 PM
M
sorry, that was the serial #. here is the model # RVGP-KSF, and there is another line under it PVGP-KS____-BKF.. nothing in the blank space. i forgot to mention in the original post that i did try the jumper trick on the damper motor plug and it did not allow the boiler to fire. here is how the wires were originally hooked up:
Black- B1
Yellow-B2
Blue-gas valve
orange-z

another thing i forgot to mention, when i disconnected the damper motor entirely, i also jumped z to TP. this is how another boiler in the house is wired, and that boiler has no damper control.

Old 10-31-13, 06:05 PM
NJT
I gotta step out for a while...

But right off I think that wiring will NOT work with the new a'stat.

I'll be back later with new wiring... problem is that the color code you gave is NOT the same as the Effikal install shows. So we might have some figuring out to do.

Does the wiring harness terminate in a white four pin molex connector at the damper motor assembly?

Can you get out a magnifying glass and examine that connector to find the PIN NUMBERS and report what color wire is with each pin number?

These numbers are going to be SMALL and molded into the plastic. If you are over 40 you will need a bright light and a magnifying glass to see them!

Old 10-31-13, 06:34 PM
M
time for dinner here also.
so we are working off the same page, so to speak: here is the webpage of the document i found on-line that shows the plug- mine is 4 pin:
Subject: Effikal & Johnson Vent Dampers - Damper

i suppose this motor is as obsolete as the aquastat, no wonder the wires are different colors. and looking at the notation of which wire is which on the diagram, i don't think my setup is the same as on that page. but we can use it to orient the jack and wire colors.
and yes, i need glasses to see things! but even with glasses, there are no numbers, but refer to that diagram in the link because they show numbers. here is what is weird. the wires and colors i refered to on the aquastat end change colors in the plug at the motor.

so for example, in #1, its orange at the aquastat but connects to brown on the motor plug end. #2 is black at the aquastat and connects to orange at the motor plug. #3 is blue at the aquastat and yellow at the motor and #4 is yellow at the stat and black at the motor.
i'm glad this plug only fits one way or i would be convinced i plugged it in wrong.
when i tried the jumping trick, i did it like they say, pin 2 to 3. but i am now thinking that my 2 and 3 pin have different purposes than the diagram. they show jumping signal to damper to signal to gas valve. it seems this should be blue to yellow the way the wires are at the stat end. i would have been jumping black to blue using their instructions. i'll hook it back up and try jumping blue to yellow and see what i get.

Old 10-31-13, 07:18 PM
NJT
i'll hook it back up and try jumping blue to yellow and see what i get.
No, I wouldn't do that if I were you.

You could end up frying the new aquastat.

Let's figure this out the right way.

Old 10-31-13, 07:42 PM
NJT
i also jumped z to TP
Correct. According to aquastat manual

FOR 24V BURNER, WIRE B1-B3 AND USE JUMPER Z-W AND TP-Z.

I think that the weil-mclain document you were looking at shows both ends of the wiring harness with a 4 pin molex on one end, and the 6 pin molex on the other end.

Your cable either never had the 6 pin molex, or it was cut off and 'adapted' to be wired directly to the aquastat.

I'm looking at a different document that the wire colors MATCH what you have at the damper motor end.

I now believe that you may have had it wired correctly.

[table="width: 500, align: left"]
[tr]
[td]pin #[/td]
[td]Function[/td]
[td]Effikal manual[/td]
[td]MOTOR END[/td]
[td]A'STAT END[/td]
[td]OLD A'STAT[/td]
[td]NEW A'STAT[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]

[/tr]
[tr]
[td]1[/td]
[td]24V HOT[/td]
[td]BRN[/td]
[td]BRN[/td]
[td]ORN[/td]
[td]Z[/td]
[td]Z[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]2[/td]
[td]SIG to DMPR[/td]
[td]ORN[/td]
[td]ORN[/td]
[td]BLK[/td]
[td]B1[/td]
[td]B1[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]3[/td]
[td]SIG to GV[/td]
[td]YEL[/td]
[td]YEL[/td]
[td]BLU[/td]
[td]TO GV[/td]
[td]TO GV[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]4[/td]
[td]24V COM[/td]
[td]BLK[/td]
[td]BLK[/td]
[td]YEL[/td]
[td]B2[/td]
[td]B3[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Last edited by NJT; 10-31-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-31-13, 07:55 PM
M
ok. i think your table might have had entries in it but they don't show on this site. i did not try jumping the blue to yellow, thought i would check back first, and glad i did.

so if orange and gas valve go to b2 and blue and gas valve are just connected and black goes to b1 (the way i had it wired) and it does not work, i guess its the damper motor, but strange, it did not blow its fuse, ( i assume it has one) or maybe it was removed because i did not have the 6 pin jack. i still don't know the reason for the original failure as the boiler fuse did not blow either. just that neutral wire got very hot. i'll check around for another damper motor.

Old 10-31-13, 08:03 PM
NJT
Hit refresh... I got all confused filling that table in... I think it's correct now!

Old 10-31-13, 08:06 PM
M
got it. and yes, that's all the way i see it. thanks. check your pm

Old 10-31-13, 08:39 PM
NJT
Probably didn't go through... wait a couple minutes after you see this and try again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: