Recommended oil/steam replacement boiler and burner

Old 10-30-13, 03:41 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recommended oil/steam replacement boiler and burner

It's time to replace. Need only about 50k - 75k btu. Will consider all suggestions. Please provide reason for your recommendation. Will have pro install, but want to continue to do most maintenance by myself. Thanks.

Old 10-31-13, 01:40 PM
F
Anyone? Old boiler from weil-mclain was way oversized.

Old 10-31-13, 03:34 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I like Burnham MPO. Smallest size is in your ballpark.

Why? because it's blue. I like blue.

It's an efficient 3-pass boiler and highly rated.

An important concern for me is EASE OF MAINTENANCE. The MPO in my opinion is the easiest boiler to clean on the market today. One doesn't even have to kneel down to do so.

A boiler that is easy to clean is more likely to be properly cleaned each year.

Old 11-01-13, 12:27 PM
F
Thanks for your reply, NJTROOPER. I like blue too, but does this boiler come in a steam version? If so, would you still recommend it?

There seems to be less choices for small boilers in oil compared to gas, and steam compared to water.

Any others? Anyone else?

Old 11-01-13, 12:41 PM
NJT
Oh, sorry... I see it says steam in your title now!

No, MPO not a steamer.

Problem with finding very small BTU oil fired appliances is that there is a limit as to how small a NOZZLE can be produced, and kept working without clogging. It seems the smallest PRACTICAL nozzle these days is about 0.5 GPH. So, #2 fuel oil being appx 140K BTU per gallon, that makes the smallest PRACTICAL oil fired appliance around 70K BTUH.

I'm not a big steam head... I know just enough to answer a few questions from time to time and to get myself in trouble... but I imagine that there are other size limitations that are unique to steam boiler systems.

Check out the Burnham Mega-Steam... it's also blue!
It seems to be very well received from what I have heard.

U.S. Boiler Company is a leading manufacturer of home heating equipment, water boilers, steam boilers, hot water heaters, radiators and boiler control systems.

Old 11-01-13, 05:16 PM
F
Talked with my oil supplier. He is recommending the 3 section Peerless WBV oil/steam boiler. Choice of beckett, carlin or riello burners.

Any opinions?

Old 11-01-13, 05:23 PM
NJT
WBV is a good boiler too... seems to be offered by a good many oil suppliers. Probably means that Peerless agressively markets to that segment...

But for whatever reason they are offering it, as long as it's installed properly, it will be fine.

Old 11-01-13, 05:31 PM
F
NJTrooper,Do you know if the MBV can be converted to gas with a conversion burner. I think I read earlier today that the megasteam couldn't. Would like to have that option for future.

Old 11-01-13, 07:02 PM
NJT
No, I'm sorry, I don't know.

Old 11-02-13, 04:50 PM
S
Received 141 Upvotes on 133 Posts
I have put in quite a bit of steam and although Burnham has had problems in the past with bad casting they have cleared that up and now have one of the best steam boilers on the market with the MEGA STEAM. The most critical thing is to follow their piping instructions. I put 2 in my brothers apartments last year and he loves them. After very bad luck with Burnham V7 and V8 series this one is a winner. As far as peerless goes I've never put one in so I don't know but they do have a good name.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: