EK 2000 - Taco Cartridge Circulator Screeching Noise

Old 11-03-13, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
EK 2000 - Taco Cartridge Circulator Screeching Noise

On a System 2000 unit, does anyone know if the boiler can operate when the Taco circulator is making a high-pitched screeching noise? The noise started this weekend and seems to sound when the furnace kicks on. To be on the safe side I turned off the emergency switch, though I will have to wait to get it checked / repaired and it's cold out. Meanwhile, I have space heaters to help, but our water won't be heated while I'm waiting for an appointment. Thank you! I attached a photo of the Taco info and one of the boiler unit (taken 4 yrs ago when we had the draft inducer replaced). The boiler is about 10 years old and I don't think this part has ever been replaced (not sure how long they last). Any ideas of the cost for parts and labor?

Attached Images   

Last edited by NJT; 11-04-13 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-13, 09:40 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You can remove the cartridge after removing four cap screws. You can inspect the cartridge to see if anything looks amiss or if something is caught in the rotor. Replacement cartridges are available from places like Pexsupply.com, etc. If you decide to replace the whole pump, I would go with a Taco 007 - much cheaper.

You don't have valves to isolate the pump - at least that I can see. So, the system will have to be depressurized and drained below the elevation of the pump.

A noisy pump, if you continue to run it, shouldn't hurt the boiler itself.

Old 11-04-13, 11:59 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you decide to replace the whole pump, I would go with a Taco 007 - much cheaper
Depending on the function of that pump it may have been selected specifically for it's pumping capacity. Without knowing it's exact purpose it would not be wise to change with a different pump based simply on the price.

That pump is a BRONZE PUMP and they are very expensive. The fact that it is bronze tells me that it has something to do with the domestic hot water function of the Energy Kinetics System 2000 boiler system.

I suspect that it is the pump that moves water through the heat exchanger.

Old 11-04-13, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Here is the alternative in SS... Im not sure brass is needed in that application..anyone?

0010-SF3 - Taco 0010-SF3 - 0010 Stainless Steel Circulator, 1/8 HP

Here is the replacement cart.. I would go this route...

0010-022RP - Taco 0010-022RP - Taco Pump Replacement Cartridge TAC0010-022RP (for 0010 Bronze)

Not sure the pump curve, head and gpm diff between the 007 and 0010 but its there for a reason... I would probably keep it a 0010...

Last edited by lawrosa; 11-04-13 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Had wrong link to replacement cart...
Old 11-04-13, 01:23 PM
NJT
[late edit - sorry Mike, I didn't see that you had already posted this!]

Here's the replacement cartridge for that pump:

0010-022RP - Taco 0010-022RP - Taco Pump Replacement Cartridge TAC0010-022RP (for 0010 Bronze)

A lot cheaper than a new pump!

Last edited by NJT; 11-04-13 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 04:06 PM
I'm puzzled why the bronze pump. I looks like the suction side of the pump is connected to a black steel pipe. And, the return line to the boiler appears to be black steel as well.

Old 11-04-13, 04:52 PM
NJT
If the pump that's screeching is that one on the front/top of the boiler, then I would agree... but these Energy Kinetics have some weird stuff inside of them... I believe that there is a brazed plate heat exchanger that transfers the heat to the indirect, and of course on the domestic side of that heat exchanger the pump MUST be bronze.

I don't know if we know yet which pump DIYing is referring to.

In any case though, to remove the 0010 and install a 007 may not be the right thing to do. EK may have (and probably does) have very specific requirements for the system pump.

It may be acceptable to use a CI pump in it's place... but possibly not a smaller pump.

Old 11-05-13, 05:59 AM
It's not necessary to use a bronze cartridge but if you have an EK-2 stay with the 0010. The circs are sized to the boiler.

Old 11-05-13, 06:56 AM
Now the noise stopped

Thank you for all the responses! I had called Energy Kinetics and they recommended keeping the boiler off to prevent further damage since the specific problem is unknown. About 24 hours later, I decided to turn it back on (using the red emergency switch at the top of the basement stairs, not directly on the boiler). The sound was gone. The boiler has been on for almost a day and the noise hasn't returned. It's producing heat and hot water as usual. Any ideas what's going on? I'll call EK back to ask about this change and the 0010 vs 007 in case it acts up again. Thanks again for all the suggestions and troubleshooting, which I'll probably need at some point.

Old 11-05-13, 07:04 AM
NJT
I'll call EK back to ask about this change and the 0010 vs 007 in case it acts up again
No need for that really, the answer from heatpro is as good (maybe better?) than calling CS at EK.

Old 11-05-13, 07:25 PM
I had called Energy Kinetics and they recommended keeping the boiler off to prevent further damage since the specific problem is unknown.
Further damage to what? This is what I hate about customer-assistance phone-jocks. Many callers know more than they do. Better to always ask to speak to a technician or engineer.

Old 11-05-13, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Further damage to what? This is what I hate about customer-assistance phone-jocks. Many callers know more than they do. Better to always ask to speak to a technician or engineer.
EK's are not normal systems gil.. and its all propitiatory stuff...You must be a professional when you call them. If your a homeowner they will not talk to you...

Most, and even my self scratch my head when I see one.. Kind of like the laars units... Its like a big pool heater of the old days. Has a big tornado heat exchanger in it of some type...

You must go to paid training to get any of the repair manuals...

Energy Kinetics Technical Support

Here is the brain...

http://www.energykinetics.com/docume...iagnostics.pdf

When I went to service one and it was the first time I have seen one I had to read the manual, but it was 150 pages or so... I told the lady she was better off calling a trained EK service company. I collected my service call fee and left.

Although I spent 2 hours there reading in her basement because I was intrigued by this unit..

Would I ever own one??? Never...

Here is the tune up manual... Cool huh??? And made in Joisey!!!!

http://www.energykinetics.com/docume...Oil_EK1EK2.pdf

Old 11-06-13, 06:44 AM
Most of the components on EK's are not proprietary. The circs are specified from Taco with bronze cartridges but a replacement doesn't need to be. The system manager with plugin relay board and the digital temp sensor are proprietary but that's it and the system can operate if need be in dumb boiler mode if there's a failure. A service board is readily available to temporarily bypass the manager. If the sensor fails the manager automatically goes to dumb boiler mode.

All burner parts, oil or gas, are off the shelf. Tech manuals are available to service techs, just call and ask for one. If you're working on one and get stuck or need insight call Tech Support. It's available to anyone in the trade. No DIY'ers due to potential liability issues.

Old 11-07-13, 10:17 PM
Noise returned

The sound returned. I turned off the unit. I've attached photos that were taken while it was running without noise (between this and my last post). There were some questions about pipes attached to the Taco part. If you need a different angle or better quality photo, please let me know. Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. I'm not sure I have the confidence yet to take apart anything myself though. Does the temp / pressure look okay?

Attached Images     
Old 11-08-13, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator
temp is too high... Should be 180f... I doubt that boiler operates at that temp...

pressure is good..

Maybey thats why you have the noise.. Id be screaming at 220f too if I was a pump.. See if it goes away when the boiler cools...

You need to lower that temp and should not operate until you do.

Old 11-08-13, 06:37 AM
Is the bottom temp light on the manager flashing? I believe the manager is in service board mode, that would explain why the supply temp is so high. There is no zone input or output but the burner, circ and inducer lights are on and shouldn't be. I think it's time to call a qualified service tech to sort things out.

Old 11-11-13, 10:33 PM
Risks of high temp, etc.

Weekend then holiday... I hope this boiler holds up until we get a tech in here. What can happen with this high temp? Fire? Explosion? I'll turn the boiler off periodically. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Old 11-12-13, 05:57 AM
It won't catch fire or explode, it's just going to run hotter than it normally does.

Old 11-26-13, 05:59 AM
Repaired

The problem turned out to be the temperature sensor but the Taco was replaced as well. Thank you for all your help and support!!

Old 12-27-13, 11:59 AM
Exact same problem

I have that exact same problem. I had a clean up done this morning and they told me the temperature sensor is not working and that the furnace is working at full blast (220 water temperature). The temperature sensor is very easy to replace but can't find the part (proprietary). I found it on ebay for $125. Anyone knows where I can buy this part without going through a professional?

Old 01-03-14, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The ek2000

Try patriotsupply, you never know.
Sid

Old 01-06-14, 06:31 AM
EK does not sell through supply houses. The professional who serviced the system can buy direct from EK as long as he is truly a professional.

If you buy it from ebay who covers the 5 year warranty if it should fail?