Hot Water System Top Zone (3rd Floor) No Heat After Purge

Old 01-02-14, 05:00 PM
NJT
However, a few days ago a leak developed from the air removal device. It is coming from the threaded portion below the valve. I put a wrench on it and it is as tight as can be.
You mean the top of the vent part is leaking?

How da heck can that happen out of the blue I wonder?

It might just need a new O-ring... if you can isolate the vent and not have to drain the system, why not just pull that top off and go to hardware store for new O-ring?

I hope your inner gorilla didn't bugger it up too badly!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-14, 06:21 PM
You mean the top of the vent part is leaking?

How da heck can that happen out of the blue I wonder?
Yup, that's where it is leaking from whenever the circulator pump kicks on.

It might just need a new O-ring... if you can isolate the vent and not have to drain the system, why not just pull that top off and go to hardware store for new O-ring?
Had no idea what was in there. Figured it was safer just to swap the entire device out then mangle the one that is there.

I hope your inner gorilla didn't bugger it up too badly!
Nope, it didn't even budge a bit so I didn't force it -- see I'm learning!

I might wait a few days to check it out until we're out of this cold spell. From the other threads I found it just seemed that people changed the entire part. Hopefully I will find an O-ring in it. I don't see any mention of one in the literature -- it just says "all stainless steel internal
components".

Old 01-03-14, 04:48 AM
NJT
that's where it is leaking from whenever the circulator pump kicks on.
I didn't expect you to say that... I don't understand why it would only leak when the pump kicks on. Doesn't really make much sense. Why would it only leak with the pump running?

Had no idea what was in there.
I actually don't either. I presumed that there's an O-ring. Sorta has to be one.

see I'm learning!

I don't see any mention of one in the literature
I looked too. Couldn't find ANY reference to parts at all. I did see something about replacing the 'scrubber' part... but how can we replace it if we can't find the parts? One would think that an exploded diagram would be available with a list of parts available... somewhere!

Old 01-03-14, 06:24 AM
Why would it only leak with the pump running?
The air separator is right after the pump - and before the supply lines. I attached a picture that might help. When the water starts moving, it starts leaking.

I searched and could not find a parts diagram either. I will attempt calling them later today. If I don't get anywhere with that, I think my plan of action will be to have a replacement on hand in case there aren't any parts that can be changed. If I open it up and see a gasket of any sort, easy enough. If there is nothing to change, I'll thread the new one on.

Is there a brand/model you would recommend that is readily available? I think I would have to order a Bell Gossett online.

Thanks.Name:  IMG_20131105_091423_697.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  23.3 KB