Beckett AFG / Pump issue?

Old 11-06-13, 08:49 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beckett AFG / Pump issue?

Hello

First, thanks to everyone who gives advice here, I have lurked a long time and have picked up a lot of helpful information.

On to my question.
I have a Williamson OWT3 oil boiler w/tankless.

Just turned the heat on this week (without performing maintenance because I had a lot going on)... Heat worked for 2 days then nothing..

So I cleaned out the filter housing,replaced the fuel filter, replaced the nozzle and set the gap on the electrodes.
And nothing. No heat.

So I replaced the electrodes and re-gapped. Replaced the filter on the fuel pump(it was quite dirty)
Still no heat.

So I replaced the ignitor.
No heat.

So now I think its the pump. Oil is coming out of the bleeder but doesn't seem to be flowing as strong as I remember. No oil in the combustion chamber Disconnected the outlet line on the pump and nothing is coming out.

I just want to verify that there is not something I can do to fix the pump or some other aspect I am missing?

Thank you for reading this!

Old 11-06-13, 09:04 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
It would be very strange for a pump to 'break' just like that.

It is much more likely that you have a broken plastic 'coupler' between the blower motor and the fuel pump.

You could also have a blockage in fuel line, but check coupler first.

Beckett 2454 a Series Coupling for Use with Af, Afg and Nx Burners - Amazon.com

If you purchase one locally, you will get a 'universal' more than likely, which would need to be cut to length. The length is somewhat critical... so you are better off trying to find an OEM part.

Old 11-06-13, 09:25 AM
T
Thanks for the quick reply. Well that's what I thought as well after sleeping on it. So I check this morning. The pump spins (by hand), and the coupler looks good to my eye. the ends both fit where the should and spin the motor and the pump (when attached manually/individually). So to my mind it's good, does it sound it or should I just buy a coupling and try it?

My thought is that some dirt or a piece of the filter gasket might have gotten through into the pump when I replaced the screen on it. If it did it seems like it might clog the internal check valve? I have read on another page how to check the piston and solenoid but that seems beyond my technical skills. I might go give it shot though, before I drop $100 on a new pump.

I don't think it can be the fuel line, because up until I replace the screen on the pump the oil flowed nice smooth through the bleeder.

Old 11-06-13, 10:03 AM
Z
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
Donít want to waste your time or throw you off track, Iím just a newbie. But I remember once when I changed the strainer on my pump I was continually failing to seat the O-ring properly when I put the pump cover back on. By eye (mine not good) it looked OK - but not so.

I really canít remember whether it just sucked air or that was one of my first oil baths? Trooper would know whether that could have any relevance to your problem.

Good luck!

Old 11-06-13, 10:20 AM
T
Hey zoesdad
Thanks for the input. I will try reseating it on the gasket right now. I don't know much about pumps so I will take any input I can get. Trying to avoid throwing anymore money at this/calling the service man and so I am open to and will try all advice. Thanks!

Old 11-06-13, 12:41 PM
S
Received 71 Votes on 67 Posts
If you had oil before and the coupling is good you should have oil now. I wouldn't jump into a pump just yet. If you changed your oil filter and pump screen each has a gasket that must be installed properly to make the oil system air tight. Air tight cannot be dressed enough. Any air will hamper or stop your oil flow. Double check all fittings from tank to burner, make sure all valves are fully open(firomatic) at tank & burner.and let run until you get all the air out. When bleeding use the bleeder at pump. If you get good flow close the bleeder and remove one side of nozzle line from the burner side. Put into a container and see how oil runs through pump. Hopefully that will work for you. Good luck.

Old 11-06-13, 08:20 PM
T
Thanks for all the responses guys. I messed with all the gaskets and made sure everything was open and no luck. So I ended up buying a pump for $62 at the supply house. Put it on and got the flow back, boiler fired up, my house is now toasty warm. Thanks again for the input.

Old 11-06-13, 10:07 PM
S
Received 71 Votes on 67 Posts
Cheap enough for toasty toes. Enjoy the holidays.

Old 11-07-13, 10:25 AM
Z
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
Good news!!! Good news!!!

Old 11-07-13, 04:18 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
One thing that should be done after replacing the pump is a check of the pump PRESSURE to be sure it's within spec. I would not trust that the pump is accurately adjusted from the factory.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: