Vaillant Boiler

Old 11-06-13, 09:57 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vaillant Boiler

I would like add a Tekmar control to my Vaillant boiler model Ga92-140ec but unsure what control to get. I am interested in the control that senses outside temp and what the boiler needs to run at. I have 3 zones in our house with one zone set to heat our coil hot water tank. My aquastat is a L8148e. Would I have to replace that with something from Tekmar? Also would i have to change out my current Honeywell set back thermostats? Is there any help I can get saving some fuel this winter. Thanks

Old 11-06-13, 03:51 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
My aquastat is a L8148e. Would I have to replace that with something from Tekmar?
No.

Also would i have to change out my current Honeywell set back thermostats?
No.

Is there any help I can get saving some fuel this winter
The biggest 'bang for the buck' is always going to be sealing air leaks, and insulation. The more cold air you can keep from coming in, the less heated air you can keep from going out, the better.

Sealing air leaks is usually cheaper than insulating, and believe it or not accounts for a bigger portion of the total heat loss from a home. When looked at as a whole, all the tiny air leaks added up usually account for an opening the size of a wide open window.

The Tekmar controls you are looking at is probably going to be a '260' model (because you have an indirect water heater) and that costs about $400 or so. How long do you think it would take to pay for that in fuel savings? 5-10 years... at least... maybe longer. These add-ons aren't always the 'magic bullet' that salespeople try to make you believe that they are. Don't get me wrong, they have their place, but the FIRST step should always be to do things that keep the heat IN the home rather than allowing it to leak and radiate OUT.

Is this a 'new to you' home? Do you have a feel for how much fuel you have burned in past winters?

It is probably better to spend a couple hundred bucks on a REAL home energy audit that includes a BLOWER DOOR TEST. You would be surprised what an audit like this can reveal. Well worth the expense... especially if you follow through with the recommendations they will make.

I'm sure by now you have learned that Vaillant no longer markets in the US. I spent some time on the net looking for a manual for your boiler and have come up with nothing useful.

Do you have the manual for your boiler? If so, would it be possible for you to either scan the pages that include wiring diagrams, or even photograph them clearly enough so that they are readable? Pretty much the only way we can be of much help...

Old 11-06-13, 04:13 PM
T
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
Couldn't agree more with what Trooper says about the energy audit. Some companies do it for free too. Shop that around. I had one done about 2 months ago and was amazed at what the blower door test showed. Now I had the blue print of exactly what I needed to do to seal it up.

Best $0.00 I ever spent! (I did mention some do it for free...)

Old 11-06-13, 05:19 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Good for you Tom! I don't want to 'drift' Mutual's topic, but am curious about your ACH number?

For all things related to building and improving a homes energy footprint, this is a pretty good website to spend hours at:

GreenBuildingAdvisor.com | Designing, Building and Remodeling Green Homes

Old 11-07-13, 06:43 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I do have the manual for the boiler and will upload a drawing if the electrical for everyone once I get WiFi for my laptop. I have went thru and added 20 inches more of insulation on top of what I already had in the attic and have caulked all of our outlets for cold air. I built my own home so I know what went into it. When I say built it i mean I did it all exceptvfir my pours wallls for the basement. House is very tight. I was just trying to make the boiler so it was more efficient via smarter controls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: