Thermostat Install Question

Old 11-08-13, 10:46 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thermostat Install Question

Hi, new to the board. I just moved into a house with hydronic baseboard heating. The house was built in '77 but natural gas was added to the house in '92 and the heating system was installed. The house currently has four zones with the 70's type round thermostats. Being that one is in the kid's room and they love it warm and they never turn it down I've bought four Honeywell 8100's to program the zones to save me some money (I hope).

My boiler is located in the garage next to the hot water heater. I'm sure this makes no difference to anything but I think it's worth mentioning since this doesn't seem like a usual installation location. Obviously, I need to keep the garage door closed in the winter to keep things from freezing.

I verified the system is two wire 24v with a multimeter. I'm not sure which wire to hook up to which connection on the thermostat but, since there's only two, it can't be that difficult. My question is about the pump protection feature of these thermostats. I'd guess given I have only one pump that I only need one of the thermostats with this feature enabled. Is this a correct assumption? Do I even need it enabled at all?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by parshal; 11-08-13 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-08-13, 11:59 AM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Look at figure 7 in the installation instructions. You should have a red and white wire attached to old thermostat. You can put either wire to pins 1 or 3.

Pump protection is a gimmick. You've never had it before.

Pumps do seize but the only way to trigger the circulator is to make a call for heat. To exercise the zone valves or circulators for each zone you'd need to have each thermostat do the pump protection.

Old 11-08-13, 12:25 PM
P
I figured it was a gimmick. I'm just going to leave it off.

Thanks for the info!!!

Old 11-08-13, 04:16 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't call it a 'gimmick' exactly. Wet rotor pumps are known to 'seize' when not used for long periods of time.

However, you are not going to be using this thermostat to run the pump directly... you will be running zone valves.

So yes, leave that pump exercise function OFF.

Old 11-08-13, 05:19 PM
P
Thanks Trooper. I got them installed. One thing I see is that the current temp displayed seems to read higher than the old mercury based thermostats. I'll have to keep an eye in them to see if I need to change my programming accordingly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: