Boiler pump stuck on

Old 11-09-13, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler pump stuck on

Hi gang,

I have an American Standard 1B J1. I just cleaned it, put a new nozzle and filter on, opened up the feed lines, turend on the thermostats (there's 2) and now the pump wont shut off. Ive done this same process for the last 5 yesrs. Now the pump ( the one thst feeds the water) just continues to run. Any ideas?

Thanks, Tim

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-13, 05:12 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Tim,

What's controlling the pump? i.e. where do it's power wires come from?

You may have a 'stuck' relay for the pump.

Old 11-10-13, 01:17 PM
Its just the normal box with the relays and what not in it. I dont Know if this helps but... Over the summer i replace a shut off valve and had to drain the system. Also, the lines by the boiler are hot.. But i dont get heat in the rest of the system. Is it possible to be "air locked"?

Old 11-10-13, 01:24 PM
NJT
Its just the normal box with the relays and what not in it.
The 'normal box'? What do you mean? Are you talking about the AQUASTAT on the boiler? And the pump is wired to the C1 and C2 terminals?

Over the summer i replace a shut off valve and had to drain the system. Also, the lines by the boiler are hot.. But i dont get heat in the rest of the system. Is it possible to be "air locked"?
In this case, yes... it is most likely air locked. The reason that the pump is continuing to run is because the thermostat is not being satisfied and continues to call for heat... which never comes...

Does the pump shut off when you turn the thermostat all the way down?

Are there bleeders on the baseboards?

Can you post some pictures of the piping and valves around the boiler? That will help us help you.

Old 11-10-13, 02:27 PM
Im not positive on how to post pictures. Yes everything shuts off when i turn the thermostat way down. Everything is wired into a box that has the main power coming in, the temp setting dials, relays.. ect. Baseboards have bleeders too. Do i need to bleed them all or can i do 1 and it will work for them all?

Old 11-10-13, 03:22 PM
NJT
OK then, NOT a 'stuck relay'.

First, check the pressure/temperature gauge on the boiler and tell us the readings.

Shut the system down and allow to cool to 100F or less.

Go to each bleeder in turn and open bleeder until no more air comes out... only water... close and go to next one.

Turn system on and see what you get... if you are lucky, and first time is a charm, great... if not:

Repeat the process with the pump running.

BE CAREFUL about the HOT WATER! Don't burn yourself!

Old 11-10-13, 04:34 PM
Its read just about 10 @ 185 or so degrees. Isit possible to bleed it with the water outlet at the bottom of the line. The one i used to drain it when i needed to fix the broken shut off?

Old 11-10-13, 05:01 PM
NJT
Its read just about 10 @ 185 or so degrees.
IF YOUR GAUGE IS ACCURATE, you do NOT have enough pressure in the system and this could be a major factor why you have air in the system and no circulation.

You need to verify that the gauge is accurate.

Read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Is it possible to bleed it with the water outlet at the bottom of the line. The one i used to drain it when i needed to fix the broken shut off?
No. That's not where the air is.

Old 11-10-13, 05:18 PM
Ok so i bled all the lines. I've got water coming out in steady stream. Do i turn the system back on now?

Old 11-10-13, 06:06 PM
NJT
Turn system on and see what you get... if you are lucky, and first time is a charm, great... if not:

Repeat the process with the pump running.

BE CAREFUL about the HOT WATER! Don't burn yourself!

Sure, give it a shot.....................

Old 11-10-13, 06:43 PM
Well, i ran the boiler, re-bled the lines. I have heat now but the pump is still running. Getting about 13psi. Im done for tonight but have a few more questions.

1. Is the pump supposed to run after the boiler shuts down?

2. How much psi am i supposed to be getting?

3. I have 2 separate thermostats (up and down stairs) should I be bleeding the downstairs as well?

4. When the pump is running i can hear water running through the pipes... Is that supposed to be happening?

I appreciate the help.. Thank you.

Tim

Old 11-10-13, 07:45 PM
NJT
1. Is the pump supposed to run after the boiler shuts down?
Let's clarify some terms... when you say BOILER shuts down, it means that the thermosats are satisfied, the room is warm and the entire thing shuts down... BURNER and PUMP... the whole BOILER.

If you asked "Is the pump supposed to run after the BURNER shuts down?" then that question I can answer as : YES, it CAN, depending on what's going on.

Let's try this:

The PUMP should run whenever a thermostat is calling for heat.

The BURNER will fire when needed to maintain the temperature of the water. If the heat call continues and the water in the boiler reaches the SETPOINT of the AQUASTAT control, the BURNER will shut down, but the pump MAY continue to run.

When the temperature in the room meets the setting on the thermostat and the thermostat stops calling for heat, the pump should also shut down.

2. How much psi am i supposed to be getting?
When the boiler is COLD, you must have a MINIMUM of 12 PSI in the boiler. As the water is heating it can go as high as around 25 PSI, but usually not that high... USUALLY no more than 8 PSI hotter when the boiler is HOT.

3. I have 2 separate thermostats (up and down stairs) should I be bleeding the downstairs as well?
You said you "drained the system", yes? (I get mixed up with all the posts, sorry) anyway, I think you said that... so

YES, you need to get all the air out of the entire system, bleed everything.

And because you added fresh water, you will have to probably do it again in a week or three.

4. When the pump is running i can hear water running through the pipes... Is that supposed to be happening?
No. Absolutely not. When the water flows in the heating system it should be darn near SILENT. If you hear water flowing you have AIR... it's not the water you hear... it's the AIR BUBBLES carried along with the water.

Old 11-11-13, 05:23 PM
Well after bleeding the lines one last time, everything is working great! Im getting about 15 psi (with my original gage, i will be checking it. ). Ive got heat in the lines and all seems good. Thank you very much for all the help.

Old 11-11-13, 06:25 PM
NJT
OK, good! Like I said though, you will probably start having air again once the water is good and hot a few times.

You may have to bleed air another time or three... wait a week or so and do it again.