propylene glycol antifreeze for outdoor wood boiler

Old 11-11-13, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
propylene glycol antifreeze for outdoor wood boiler

Its clear that propylene glycol is the best option in OWB antifreeze, although you'll find reports of people using all sorts of less suitable and more toxic products. I don't want to get into those, because I'm not going to use anything but PG. My question is simply,

1) is there anything in prepared "propylene glycol boiler antifreeze"
that I can't put in there myself to save money, or that isn't already in my corrosion-protected boiler water? In other words, can I just buy straight PG and use it, or add something to it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-13, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Impossible to say. There are several brands of PG "Heat Transfer Fluid" and prices are all over the map. The problem is you can't tell what additives are in the mix or which ones are necessary. The manufacturers won't reveal the recipe and additives are typically trace amounts that don't need to be detailed on the MSDS sheets.

Fortunately I found when looking at this very subject that there are brands available online via Amazon, etc. that are specifically for boilers but don't cost any more than Sierra (for example) automotive PG antifreeze.