Screeching noise coming from Pump/Motor

Old 11-12-13, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Screeching noise coming from Pump/Motor

I moved into my first home a few months ago. The house is heated with a boiler. The boiler was replaced in 1994 but the motor looks a lot older then that so I am unsure how old it is. The pump/bearing assembly at the front of the motor was replaced by the previous homeowner approx 1-2 years ago. We have just started using the boiler full time now and we are having a very annoying screeching sound from around the pump/motor that I am having trouble pinpointing. I have some pictures/video for you guys to look at and im hoping some one might have heard a sound like this before. Our system is installed so the circulator runs 100% of the time and our thermostat shuts the boiler itself on/off when needed. I have noticed when the boiler is off and the water temperature is cool the noise will most of the time go away completely or slow down and get quieter. When the boiler turns on and the water temp is rising the noise will start and sometimes can get very loud and happen more often.

Edit-If i try and link the video from photobucket my post disappears. I am not sure why. Also I oiled the pump/motor when we first heard the noise. then we had a serviceman here to clean the boiler and he oiled again. i now read you shouldnt over oil the motor and im afraid it might have been over oiled.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-13, 10:50 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Edit-If i try and link the video from photobucket my post disappears. I am not sure why. ...

... now read you shouldnt over oil the motor and im afraid it might have been over oiled.
When a 'new' poster uploads a bunch of pics their posting gets 'flagged' for moderator approval. Place a link to your video in a reply, it should go through this time... if not, one of the mods will approve, so don't post it multiple times.

As old as that motor/pump is, I wouldn't worry about over-oiling at this point. An occasional over oiling isn't really going to hurt anything... I think that the main 'danger' in over oiling is that the excess oil softens the motor mount rings and causes misalignment when the motor sags in the softened mounts... and ultimately the misalignment causes the 'coupler' to fail prematurely.

Old 11-12-13, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. Here is the video.

I also purchased a gauge today to verify my water pressure. Original gauge on boiler reads 15psi cold but pressure is actually 13psi. Tried to check air pressure in my expansion tank aswell but i dont own a tire presure gauge that goes below 20 psi. Will need to pick one up.

Old 11-13-13, 03:44 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Wow, it's really dark in your basement, isn't it!

I don't have any idea what that noise is... sounds like a squeaky swing set... maybe it's the turbo spooling up?

Is that what it does? Squeak!..........................................squeak!.............................etc

Or are there times it squeals continuously?

What type of 'coupler' is used in that pump? Is it possible that the setscrews are loose and maybe it's spinning intermittently on the shaft?

That rear motor mount looks pretty gummy.

Last edited by NJT; 11-13-13 at 04:01 PM.