burnham P206W boiler - heating problems

Old 11-13-13, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
burnham P206W boiler - heating problems

i'm experiencing some problems with our burnham boiler - when heat is called for by turning up the thermostat, the zone valves open (2 of them), the circulator pumps kicks on, and the boiler fires up only intermittently. some times the burners do not kick in and other times they do and then shut off right away. I found that by tapping on the aquastat unit, the burners will kick on and for sometime the heater will cycle correctly for awhile.

i'm I correct in assuming the aquastat unit (if that is what it is called) is gone out or is going out? can I trouble shoot it to confirm? and if it is found to be out or going out, where might I find the appropriate replacement unit? the burnham gas fired heater appears to be made in 1979 and the aquastat unit is a Honeywell L8148A116 vertical mount type.

any help is appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-13, 04:49 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sounds like bad connection in the aquastat, probably a cracked solder connection where the relay is soldered to the board.

If you are skilled with soldering iron you can probably repair.

If not:

This one says 'horizontal mount' and you can use it if you have room. I don't know why they call them horizontal and vertical... I've see both mounted opposite...and they still work.

L8148A1017 - Honeywell L8148A1017 - High Limit Horizontal Mount Aquastat Relay, 8F differential

Or, if you are aching for a new-fangled electronic control, the L7224U will work too:

L7224U1002 - Honeywell L7224U1002 - 120 Vac Oil Electronic Aquastat