House does not get warm enough

Old 11-13-13, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
House does not get warm enough

This is going to be my first full winter in my new home. We moved in last march and noticed that the house never really seems to get warm. I have oil heat with a peerless wbv03 boiler. Hydronic baseboard heat throughout the house, 2 zones (` upstairs and 1 downstairs).

My main floor is an open floor plan with living room. dininng room and kitchen combines. We are starting to notice that there is ALWAYS a chill in the house. Last year towards the end of the winter I had a home energy audit done and we looks at the house with a thermal camera and did not find any drafts or really cold spots that I should resolve.

We keep the heat set to 68 when we are home, when we are at work I keep it on 58 and when we go to bed the heat is on 60. When the heat gets to 68 its still cold in the house. I have a Accurite digital thermometer in the living room and it usually reads around 66-67.

When the heat gets to 68 and is off (until it has to kick back on) the baseboards get ice cold. Is that normal? I was thinking about replacing the baseboard since they are pretty old with SlantFin High Output baseboard to see if I can get more heat into the house.

Is there anything else I can do to bring some more warmth into the house? Would it be a good idea to upgrade to HO baseboard? Should I just raise the temp?

James

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 05:08 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That 10 degree swing isn't doing you any good. IMO 6-8 should be the max. It takes a long time to recover from such a huge swing and even longer for the bones of the house to feel warm again. Things like furniture, interior walls and floors take a while to warm up. This could be adding to you chill feel. Try reducing the swing and perhaps checking the t-stat for accuracy with a different thermometer. It may be a degree or so off.

Old 11-14-13, 05:11 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi James,

Last year towards the end of the winter I had a home energy audit done
Good for you! Something I think everyone should have done.

Did they find ANYthing that needed improvement? Do you recall the ACH number from the report?

set to 68 when we are home, when we are at work I keep it on 58 and when we go to bed the heat is on 60
With a reasonably tight home my opinion is that deep setbacks for relatively short periods of time (like 8 hours) don't really save as much as one might think they do. My feeling is that during the recovery period the boiler has to burn more fuel to warm up the entire home... thus for the most part using all the energy that may have been saved during the setback period. Your mileage may vary...

When the heat gets to 68 and is off (until it has to kick back on) the baseboards get ice cold. Is that normal?
Yes. There isn't much 'mass' in fin-tube baseboard to hold heat. On the flip side though, they warm up faster and generally give better recovery time.

I was thinking about replacing the baseboard since they are pretty old with SlantFin High Output baseboard to see if I can get more heat into the house.
I think a sensible approach at this point would be to perform a heat loss estimate and compare the estimate to the amount of baseboard installed to see where you stand in terms of heat loss versus heat input and then go from there.

There is a link at the top of the forum where you can download the old Slant-Fin calculator. Take a few hours entering data and first determine if you've got enough baseboard installed to meet the heat loss of the home.

Simply installing HO boards can often 'upset the apple cart' and cause imbalances in the system.

How is the humidity level in the home? Very dry home will feel cooler.