zones, thermodynamics, etc.

Old 11-14-13, 03:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
zones, thermodynamics, etc.

I have a HW system, with two zones on the first floor. We tend to live on one side (FR, kitchen), and not so much the other side (LR, DR). We split the zones, with the idea that we could keep the "unlived" side cooler to save money.

However, our floor plan is rather open; there are no doors to totally isolate the cooler side of the house. The family debate rages over two points of view:

- I am saving money with a lower temp on the other side of the house. The cooler air and warmer air in the two zones will not co-mingle

- Convection and thermodynamics rule. Air will do what it needs to do to get to homeostasis across both zones So, the warmer air will move to warm the cooler air, and the warm zone will stay on until the other zone is at the same temp. In the meantime, the air movement creates a draft, making it feel cooler on the warm side.

I welcome your thoughts. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 07:53 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
If someone were smoking a cigar in the Kitchen, would you smell it in the Living Room?

With open doors and such between the two zones, of course there will be some co-mingling of the air. Cool air will flow in from the cooler side at the bottom of the openings, warmer air will flow into the cooler area at the top of the openings.

Homeostasis? Don't anthropomorphize non-biological entities... they don't like it!

I would have just said equilibrium... I usually think of homeostasis as a biological term.

Old 11-14-13, 12:41 PM
You're right - equilibrium. Brain fart. Please do note that I wrote this at 5:53 AM, with my morning coffee yet to be poured! You can bet that won't happen again! Thanks.

Old 11-14-13, 01:07 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I didn't notice the time!

Sun is over the yardarm, so forget the coffee!

Old 11-14-13, 02:31 PM
I never have anything stronger than gin before breakfast...