Oil Fed Boiler Not Working

Old 11-14-13, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Fed Boiler Not Working

Hello everyone,

I am a newer home owner; less then a year; and I have a boiler fed by oil. The boiler serves as a hot water heater for tap water and showers but also heats the water running through the baseboards to heat my house. My problem is with the base boards not heating up. I have plenty of hot water from my sink and shower. The boiler kicks on and there is a flame but for some reason I am not getting any hot water to my base boards. I was thinking it was a thermostat but I'm not sure. Please help its getting cold.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 11:32 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Check your circulator pump to see if runs when you turn your t-stat up.

Old 11-14-13, 12:33 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Tell us what the PRESSURE/TEMPERATURE gauge on the boiler is reading.

Old 11-14-13, 12:39 PM
Where is the circulator pump? It is reading 20 psi.

Old 11-14-13, 01:04 PM
It is the thing most likely on the return line on the side of the boiler. It may be green or red. It may say TACO or B&G. There are others but you get the idea.

Old 11-14-13, 01:13 PM
NJT
It is reading 20 psi.
OK, and the TEMPERATURE that reading is taken at?

Where is the circulator pump?
It will be connected to one of the bigger pipes near the boiler and have an electric wire going to it.

Click link below:
Let me google that for you

Old 11-14-13, 02:25 PM
The temperature gauge is reading 110.

Old 11-15-13, 08:49 AM
To update I have 2 zones in my house. Basement and then the rest of the house. I tried turing on the basement last night and that also did not turn on.

Attached Images  
Old 11-15-13, 09:19 AM
NJT
First off, the other day you said 20 PSI at 110F ... and the picture of the gauge today shows maybe a little more than 10 PSI at 180F ... so something is whacko right off the bat.

If your boiler is at 180F and you've only got a bit more than 10 PSI , well, that's not enough pressure.

But I never believe pressure gauges, so before we can go any further with that part, you need to read this:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ure-gauge.html

Next thing is, we asked if the circulator pump is running... and told you where to look for it... and the google link I posted will tell you what they look like... so I need to ask again:

Is the circulator pump running?

Old 11-15-13, 11:22 AM
I apologize for the incorrect readings the first time out. I started my post from memory and I was mistaken. The pumps are running when it kicks on.

Old 11-15-13, 11:46 AM
Here are a few more pictures

Attached Images   
Old 11-15-13, 11:52 AM
RB,
I see you said pumps. Are you saying you have more than 1 zone?

The pumps turning on means the t-stats are working. Unless there's a wiring problem the only way the pump runs is on a call for heat by the t-stat.

So we know the boiler, pump and t-stat all work.

The pressure sounds a little low but you should still get heat unless as Trooper said your gage is defective and you have less than the reading.

Do you know if the system has been worked on. Maybe drained and refilled and never bled. Can you hear water running through the pipes at all.

I just saw the pics. The red things are called flochecks and are opened by the pressure created by the pump. Is the pipe hot after the flocheck with the pump running. That red flag on top when turned will open that valve up manually and allow water to flow through in case that's not working. I don't think that's the case since neither zone works. You might check for any valves being closed. If the system was opened there's a chance they missed a valve or two.

On your top circulator flanges you have shutoffs built in. The open & close with a flathead screwdriver. Make sure they're open.

Last edited by NJT; 11-15-13 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-15-13, 01:31 PM
NJT
Let me recap, tell me if this is all correct:

When a thermostat calls for heat, the BURNERS FIRE and the boiler gets HOT?

The PUMP or PUMPS run at this time?

If this is the case then I've got to say it's a pressure problem, or as Spott said closed valves somewhere, but you haven't mentioned anyone having done any work on the system so that's probably not it.

What I see in the pump picture is the left one leaking from the flanges. It actually looks WET on the top flange. You need to fix that. If you don't you will have bigger problems later. This would explain why you have no pressure in your system. Your system is probably air bound with not much water in it.

Look for the line that comes from the domestic water supply to the boiler piping. It will be a smaller pipe, about 1/2" diameter. On this pipe may be some valves, one of them a bell shaped one, similar to this:

image courtesy pexsupply.com

Take a picture of that pipe and all the valves that are on it.

Take pictures of the boiler and all the piping around it too. Don't make us have to guess at stuff.