New install Aquastat L7224U displaying error code #4 B1 fault Why?

Old 11-14-13, 10:10 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New install Aquastat L7224U displaying error code #4 B1 fault Why?

Hi,

My name is Ted, I have a Weil-Mclain 17 year old oil boiler, with tankless coil for hot water, a standard type Beckett burner, with the Honeywell R8184G 4009 intermittent ignition and Beckett electronic igniter # 51771U-51824U, I have a honeywell aquastat # L8124A as my primary for hi - Lo temp settings and a separate honeywell relay going to a second zone. My L8124A aquastat has been acting funny with getting stuck on occasionally and temps not being accurate, But it does work. I purchased a new Honeywell L7224U 1002 aquastat as a replacement, I tagged each wire and swapped out the box, when I turn on the boiler the L7224U goes through a check of the system and fires up the furnace then shuts down after a few seconds and displays an error ( err 4 B1 fault, ) I double checked the wires all seem good. I reinstalled the old aquastat L8124A and the boiler fired right up and stays on, repeated the process with the new aquastat and got the same error 4 again, any ideas on why I keep getting the error message with the new aquastat

Thanks Ted

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 11:05 AM
T
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
You might have the polarity reversed.

Old 11-14-13, 11:37 AM
T
Hi, Thanks for the response, I will check that but would the old unit have been working all these years, the ignition,igniter and fan motor all tie into the same wiring and I have no problem with them,
Thanks Ted

Old 11-14-13, 12:28 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Ted, that error means that the aquastat is sensing voltage on the B1 terminal at power up, when there should be none.

Turn off power to boiler.

Remove the wire from B1 and make sure it doesn't touch anything (tape or wire nut if you have to) and power up again. If you still get B1 error it means something wrong with control.

If no error with wire disconnected, measure between B1 and B2 with voltmeter. You should have no voltage present.

If you do have voltage there, you've either got wiring error, or something wrong with downstream controls.

Old 11-14-13, 04:12 PM
T
Hello NJ Trooper,

Your instructions are perfect, You nailed it with removing the B1 wire powered back up the unit and I still got the error 4 message, Thank You, Is it hit or miss with these units for getting a good one from the vendor or should I find another model to install.

Thanks Ted

Old 11-14-13, 04:28 PM
NJT
powered back up the unit and I still got the error 4 message
Did you then measure the voltage between B1 and B2 ? I wonder if the relay is really 'stuck', or if it's reporting the error in error.

Is it hit or miss with these units for getting a good one from the vendor
No, it certainly shouldn't be!

Sometimes I wonder though if they might put returned units back on the shelf to resell...

Old 11-14-13, 04:46 PM
T
No voltage was present when tested between B1 & B2, I think some of this smart technology is just too smart for itself, When I hooked the L8124A unit back up I did your test, also no power present between B1 & B2

Old 11-14-13, 05:52 PM
T
With B1 hooked up I checked the L7224U while it was going through it's self check, When it powers on for the few seconds I have power at B1 And B2, then error 4 kicks in snd shuts down the unit

Old 11-16-13, 02:16 PM
T
Update: I returned the L7224U aquastat to the vendor for another of the same model, The second one was plug and play the boiler fired right up with out codes, NJ Trooper's diagnostics of a bad unit were spot on, Thank You,

TeddyRay

Old 11-16-13, 04:28 PM
NJT
You're welcome Ted. I'm almost certain that they resold a returned unit that someone fried. Sadly, it happens more often then we want to know.

Good Luck!