A heat loss calculation question

Old 11-14-13, 01:08 PM
A heat loss calculation question

My home is a 1950’s brick ranch (approx 1400 sf) with a 3/4 basement and crawl space.

The 35 year old Burnham boiler is functioning nicely with a new Taco 007, bladder expansion tank, air scoop and automatic air bleeder. What’s concerning me is the popping/cracking noises emanating from the boiler when the burner is operating. The new T&P gauge shows 180F max at 12psi. I ran the pressure at 18psi for a week following the 007 installation.

Regardless, 168,000 Btu output and it’s age have me preparing for it’s replacement.

The basement was homeowner/handyman finished in the late 1970s. There are two 9’ long, double-pass copper/aluminum fin emitters suspended from the floor joists in the crawl space. The bedroom floors are warm…directly above the emitters. (The dog’s favorite sleeping spot!)

It also appears that two additional 9’ emitters were relocated from below the kitchen and central hallway to create baseboards for the basement’s “big room”…with homemade covers/grilles.

The basement has it’s own t/stat controlling it’s zone valve. I use the basement for storage only and have the t/stat set at 50F.

So, my initial question…should I include the basement in my heat loss calculation?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-13, 01:18 PM
NJT
So, my initial question…should I include the basement in my heat loss calculation?
I would run first without the basement.

Then add basement and run again. OR, possibly better yet, set up a separate 'job' and run the basement individually so that you can set the temperature at 50° rather than the 70° you are probably using for the rest of the home.

Old 11-14-13, 01:28 PM
Thank you, sir. Good answer!
For some reason, I was concerning myself about future owners wanting a warm basement living space. Now, I realize I have no plans to sell. And, if/when I do it will likely be close to end-of-life for the new boiler anyway.